Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Linking ifort and icpc object files on Mac OS X

wclodius
Beginner

I am trying to compare the outputs of a C++ procedure with the output of a Fortran translation of that procedure. The comparisons are being performed on a MacBook Pro with a 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, running macOS Big Sur, version 11.6. The main system libraries are at Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/lib/, and the main system header  files are at /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/usr/include and  /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.15.sdk/usr/include/tidy. I am running on the Terminal command line with a manual Makefile. I am using the OneAPI compiler set 2021.2.0 20210228.

I have the equivalent following files to compile and link:

1. The original C++ source file, ./cpp_source.cpp.

2. The header file to that source file, ./cpp_source.h.

3. A C++ source file, ./cpp_extern.cpp, which provides extern C wrappers to the original source file and includes the above header file.

4. A "Fortran 90" file, ./fortran_wrapper.f90, which defines a module, fortran_wrapper, that provides C interoperability wrappers to the extern C wrappers.

5. A bunch of Fortran source code two directory levels down. These are precompiled into a library, ../../libfortran_code.a with module files in  the directory ../../mod_files.

6. A fortran main program file, ./fortran_main.f90, that calls a function, cpp_fun, defined in fortran_wrapper, and two function, fortran_fun and fun_input, defined in module, fun_module  accessed in libfortran_code.

Compilation of the files has no obvious problems. The cpp files ./cpp_source.cpp and ./cpp_extern.cpp, are compiled and stored in a library, ./libcpp_fun.a. The file ./fortran_wrapper.f90 is compiled to the object file, ./fortran_wrapper.o, with the mod file, ./mod_files/fortran_wrapper.mod. The main program file, ./fortran_main.f90, is compiled to the object file, ./main_program.o.

Linking the object files and libraries, however, returns the equivalent errors:

... % make -f Makefile.validation

ifort -O3 -I../../mod_files -module ./mod_files -L../../ -L./ -L/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/lib/ fortran_main.o fortran_wrapper.o -lfortran_code -lcpp_fun -o fortran_main

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:

"___gxx_personality_v0", referenced from:

Dwarf Exception Unwind Info (__eh_frame) in libcpp_fun.a(cpp_extern.o)

Dwarf Exception Unwind Info (__eh_frame) in libcpp_fun.a(cpp_source.o)

"_fun_module_mp_fortran_fun_", referenced from:

_MAIN__ in fortran_main.o

"_fun_module_mp_fun_input_", referenced from:

_MAIN__ in fortran_main.o

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

make: *** [test_64_bit_hash_validation] Error 1

The symbol "___gxx_personality_v0" appears to be related to C++ exception handling. Does that require linking with icpc, or does it require linking in an additional library? If it requires linking with icpc does that require a C++ main, and converting fortran_main to a C interoperability subroutine?

The problems with "_fun_module_mp_fortran_fun_" and "_fun_module_mp_fun_input_" appears to indicate problems with finding the appropriate symbols in the library ../../libfortran_code, or its associated module files in ../../mod_files. Is it obvious whether it is the library or the mod files that is the problem? If so how can  I change the link command to fix the problem?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Check this out in the Fortran Developer Guide.  If your analysis is correct about exception handling, there are some additional libraries to link in.

0 Kudos
wclodius
Beginner

The libraries mentioned in the Fortran Developer Guide helped with the Dwarf exception. Do you know if the other messages indicate a failure to find the library or a failure to find the module (.mod/.smod) files? The command line options are rather diverse. Do you  know the best commands for specifying library and module file locations?

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

For the path to libraries, use -L, e.g.  -L/tmp.

For the path to module files, use -module, e.g. -module /tmp. Note the space.

0 Kudos