Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Missing Runtime error messages

Paul_Felz
New Contributor I

Hi there

I am new to Visual Studio and started to use it only recently. So my question might be stupid, sorry for that.

My problem: I do not receive any illuminating runtime diagnostics.

When an error occurs I get the information that my prog has caused an exception and came to a halt (sorry, I do not know to what the German message translates to in English). Good to know that an error has occurred, I might have missed the fact. But this does not give me any clue what the error might be. In addition on occasion I get informed that a symbol-file for libifcoremdd.dll was not found. What is that good for?

I am using VS 2017 under Windows 11 and followed the instructions on how to configure VS as given in the Intel-help. In Settings/Debugging/Symbols  I selected to load all symbol files and defined an area on my hard drive where to store them.

What am I missing?

Cheers

Norbert

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Is the message you get displayed within Visual Studio? If so, look on your taskbar for a console window that is probably hidden behind Visual Studio. This would have a more descriptive message.

Ignore the message about libifcoremdd.dll.

0 Kudos
Paul_Felz
New Contributor I

Thank you Steve. Yes now I found this console output behind the VS Window. But still, this cannot be the solution to have an IDE that does not share error information. After all, what is the I for in IDE?

Cheers

PF

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The IDE is Microsoft's. The application is a console application with its own window. The error messages are sent to the console window because the application (in production mode) will be run without the IDE. 

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Paul_Felz
New Contributor I

Okay, makes sense.

But how can I get rid of all the meaningless messages, especially this thing about the missing symbol file?

Thanks Jim.

PF

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You can't get rid of the informational messages about which DLLs were loaded with and without symbols, when running a Debug configuration program. Just ignore them.

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The missing symbol file, which is not displayed in the console window, is due to a Microsoft distributed (debug) dll that is shipped without a symbol file. This is one of those messages we all have to live with. As we do not have the source code for these files, the symbol tables will be of no use (other than for reverse engineering of proprietary code).

Jim Dempsey

Paul_Felz
New Contributor I

Good heavens, so I will try to learn to love them. Seems to be a true Microsoft product after all.

Thanks to all of you - and a happy new year.

PF