Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Module Scope Issue

nuclearlee
Beginner

I have a really specific obscure bug I've found with getting some code to compile with both Intel Fortran (I'm using version 17.0.2.187 Build 20170213) and gfortran 6.2. I apologize in advance for my horrible overly long example code, it's simplified by quite a bit from the code from which the issue arose. In this example code, I have 3 modules: (1) A module "polymod" that defines a type "Thing"; (2) a module "testpolytype" that has a type "SimpleType" that has a type bound procedure that has a dummy argument of type "Thing"; (3) a module that has a function (TestUseWithTypeDef) that uses variables of type SimpleType and type Thing to call the type bound procedure in SimpleType.

*The attached code will not compile in gfortran (as I would expect, I get "Error: Derived type ‘thing’ at (1) is being used before it is defined"), if I don't explicitly "use polymod" (line 51) in the function "TestUseWithTypeDef", but compiles with intel fortran unless I specifically state "use testpolymod, only: SimpleType" (line 52). It seems to me that SimpleType should not come in to scope because it is used in a type bound procedure that is being called. Or am I misunderstanding some weird scoping issue with typebound procedures?*

module polymod
    implicit none

interface Thing
        module procedure Initialize
    end interface Thing

type :: Thing
        integer :: thingProp
    end type Thing

contains

subroutine Initialize(this, thingProp)
        class(Thing) :: this
        integer, intent(in) :: thingProp

this%thingProp = thingProp

end subroutine Initialize

end module polymod

module testpolymod
    implicit none

type SimpleType

contains
        private
        procedure, public :: UseThing
    end type SimpleType

contains
    subroutine UseThing(this,dummyThing)
        use polymod
        class(SimpleType) :: this
        type(Thing), intent(inout) :: dummyThing

dummyThing = Thing(42)

end subroutine UseThing

end module testpolymod

module callermod
    implicit none
contains

function TestUseWithTypeDef() result(intOut)
!        use polymod
        use  testpolymod
        integer :: intOut
        type(SimpleType) :: sT
        type(Thing) :: local_thing

call sT%UseThing(local_thing)
        write(*,*)"thing prop: ", local_thing%thingProp

intOut = local_thing%thingProp
    end function TestUseWithTypeDef

end module callermod

program testpoly
    use callermod
    implicit none

write(*,*)TestUseWithTypeDef()

end program testpoly

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

I agree with you - this should not compile. The specific issue is the reference to type thing in line 55. This is NOT a type exported by module testpolymod and hence is inaccessible in the function. I recall seeing similar issues of declarations "leaking" in similar circumstances.

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you for reporting this defect and for the nice test case. I confirmed the findings and reported this to Development.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200419969)