Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Named-User license

davidspurr
Beginner

This is more by way of comment than a question.

I am self-employed, with my work being primarily research /  technical advice / consulting.  At times I use Fortran for upgrading and maintaining software that I previously developed, and occasionally develop new, mostly small 'in house' programs.  All up, use of the compiler constitutes perhaps 5% of my work time per annum.  Over the next few months though I will be 'contracting in' one of my sons to help me with a largish extension to one program and I am intending to purchase an additional Fortran licence for that.  Both of us will be coding perhaps up to 20 - 30% of the time for the duration of this project (~5 months).

The Named-User license aspect of the additional licence is a right pain in the proverbial in this situation, especially when Fortran coding is such a small part of my overall workload.  In the future I could potentially obtain coding assistance from a different person.  The Named-User license just adds yet another obstacle / cost of business that at my age (68) I can do without.  If so, I will presumably have to go through the hassle of transferring the user registration etc.  It is certainly a disincentive to using Fortran.  It would be much better if Intel put more effort into use of use rather than placing additional obstacles in the way of using the software.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I'm not aware that we put any additional obstacles here - while we changed the name of the license type from "single-user" to "named-user" a few years ago, the license type is typical of other development tools.  What would you prefer here?

0 Kudos