Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28384 Discussions

Non-floating license move to another machine

Jiri_K_
Beginner

Hello,

is it possible to move non-floating license of Fortran Compiler from one Linux machine to another? I've searched Registration FAQ and Center, but all the answers were relevant to floating license only.

:-(

Thanks

Jiri

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You simply move the license file or install by entering license key.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You simply move the license file or install by entering license key.
0 Kudos
Jiri_K_
Beginner

That's really easy - I haven't expected that - because on the old computer I had to activate the license over Internet.

So I can simply copy *.lic file from /opt/intel/licenses to the new computer and it will work?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It should work either way.  According to the license terms, only you can use it, on one computer at a time, but you can have multiple installations.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Tim is correct. The "activation" during install is really just obtaining the license file. We don't do anything to tie a license to a specific system. You can read the End User License Agreement at http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/EULA/Intel_SW_Dev_Products_EULA.pdf

0 Kudos
Jiri_K_
Beginner

Thanks a lot both of you ... now it's clear to me.

Have  a nice day!

0 Kudos
Jiri_K_
Beginner

I have leafed through the EULA and I have a bit complicated question:

Is the license user-dependent? I mean if John Doe person used the license on first computer, may only John Done use this license on second? Or is it so, that only one user (regardless if John Doe or Mr. Smith) at a time may use this license?

Thanks for enlightening :-)

Here's the excerpt from EULA regarding Single-User license:

SINGLE-USER LICENSE: If you are using the Materials under the control of a Single-User
license, you as an individual may install and use the Materials on an unlimited number of
computers provided that you are the only individual using the Materials and only one copy of the
Materials is in use at any one time. A separate license is required for each additional use and/or
individual user in all other cases. Intel will provide you with a license code key that enables the
Materials for a Single-User license. If you obtained a time-limited Single-User license, the
duration (time period) of your license and your ability to use the Materials is limited to the time
period of the obtained license, which is controlled by the license key code for the Materials. If
you are an entity, Intel grants you the right to designate one individual within your organization
to have the sole right to use the Materials in the manner provided above.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Here, "Single User" means the person in whose name the license is registered. In fact, because of confusion such as yours, we are switching the term to "Named User". So in your example, only John Doe may use the compiler under this license; Mr. Smith would need his own, separate license.

0 Kudos
Jiri_K_
Beginner

Hi Steve,

thank you very much for the clarification - I understood the EULA in the same way.

Jiri

0 Kudos