Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
27554 Discussions

Overloading the concatenation operator fails with Intel Fortran oneAPI 2021.04

Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

I have come across an odd problem with overloading the concatenation operator. Unfortunately I have been unable to construct a small example that will show the problem, so I append the entire program instead (note: this is work in progress ;)). The gfortran compiler is happy enough to build the program and it works as I expected.

These are the error messages I get:

Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler Classic for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 2021.4.0 Build 20210910_000000
Copyright (C) 1985-2021 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

d:\fortran\testjes\moa>ifort -exe:test_moa_view_ndim moa_view_ndim.f90 view_general.obj
Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler Classic for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 2021.4.0 Build 20210910_000000
Copyright (C) 1985-2021 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

moa_view_ndim.f90(345): error #6054: A CHARACTER data type is required in this context.   [I]
    z = i // j
--------^
moa_view_ndim.f90(345): error #6054: A CHARACTER data type is required in this context.   [J]
    z = i // j
-------------^
moa_view_ndim.f90(345): error #6303: The assignment operation or the binary expression operation is invalid for the data types of the two operands.
    z = i // j
----------^
moa_view_ndim.f90(366): error #6054: A CHARACTER data type is required in this context.   [AA]
    z = aa // bb
--------^
moa_view_ndim.f90(366): error #6054: A CHARACTER data type is required in this context.   [BB]
    z = aa // bb
--------------^
moa_view_ndim.f90(366): error #6303: The assignment operation or the binary expression operation is invalid for the data types of the two operands.
    z = aa // bb
-----------^
moa_view_ndim.f90(366): error #6366: The shapes of the array expressions do not conform.   [Z]
    z = aa // bb
----^
compilation aborted for moa_view_ndim.f90 (code 1)

As you can see, there is no message about the overloaded // operator itself, which is defined in the module as:

public :: operator(//)
    interface operator(//)
        module procedure catenate_array_array, catenate_array_view, catenate_view_array, catenate_view_view
    end interface

But actually applying it causes the error messages.

My attempt at a small reproducer:

module concatenation
    implicit none

public :: two_ints, operator(//)

type :: two_ints
        integer, dimension(4) :: value
    end type two_ints

interface operator(//)
        module procedure concat
    end interface
contains
function concat( a, b )
    integer, dimension(:), intent(in) :: a, b
    type(two_ints)                    :: concat

concat%value(1:2) = a
    concat%value(3:4) = b
end function concat

end module concatenation

program chk_concat
    use concatenation

type(two_ints) :: c
    integer, dimension(2) :: a, b

a = [1, 2]
    b = [3, 4]

c = a // b
    write(*,*) c

end program chk_concat

causes no complaints whatsoever and works as expected.

1 Reply
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? (Other than using a user-defined operation - I like the syntax of the // operation for this)