Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

PARALLEL STUDIO XE 2019 does not integrate with VS 2015

WSinc
New Contributor I

I had VS2015, Community, and I tried to install the above mentioned parallel studio. The compiler works fine (I tried it with the Hello World program), but it makes an unusable EXE. Well, I get a linker error, so it cannot run.

apparently we cannot get a usable EXE file with this combination of these two items.

I wonder what its supposed to be compatible with ?

It does not tell us that VS 2015 presents any problems.

Did they bother to TEST that first ? I guess not.

BTW, we cannot upload any HTM files. for you to look at,

so here is the text message.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error error #10037: could not find 'link' Link
Warning warning #31001 The dll for reading and writing the pdb (for example, mspdb110.dll) could  not be found on your path. This is usually a configuration error. Compilation will continue using /Z7 instead of /Zi, but expect a similar error when you link your program. C:\Users\Administrator\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\Console2\Console2\Console2.f90 1
18 Replies
WSinc
New Contributor I

BTW this was in the 30 day evaluation period, so naturally I am not going to buy a product that does run.

I tried this with just one statement, an END statement.

Get the same result.

I am going to call INTEL and complain about the support we are getting.

If they are going to sell their products, we need a dramatic improvement.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Bill,

Most of us find that this combination works well. That you are consistently having difficulty makes me wonder what it is about your environment that is different. I certainly have been using this combination without issues.

Rather than make blanket statements, ask for help with your specific problems. Based on what you wrote here, and the collection of your other posts, I'd venture that you are not following the instructions for configuring VS2015 for use with Intel compilers.Perhaps you are taking some shortcuts that end up creating problems.

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

I use the same combination here, without issue.

As mecej4 has previously advised, when you installed VS2015, you need to enable the installation of its C++ support.  Did you do this?

Have you read https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-visual-studio-2015-for-use-with-intel-compilers?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Considering the travails that have been reported regarding installing Visual Studio and Parallel Studio, I have often worried that it may be yet another case of “What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.”

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

From my past experience on the support side, I think that some of the blame can be placed on the installer's behavior when prerequisites are not met. Rather than a clear error message and install failure, or at least some simple and clear action required on the part of the user to proceed, the installer presents a dense section of text in small type of the form that a majority of users just click through without reading or understanding. This text is also written in a way that can create confusion, especially by those who don't care about some aspect (such as XeonPhi on Windows debugging), or the unclear text about how old integration will be removed. I had tried working with the install team to improve this aspect, but more could be done.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, in my initial complaint (post #1), I uploaded a screen shot which showed the EXACT 

error messages I was getting, so i dont see what else i could provide. Everything was right there.

I guess its easier to blame the customer for all these problems, rather than provide competent

support.

Sure, you dont get these same problems, because you know all the ins and outs about installing

this stuff. Info that is not provided to us. So naturally your stuff installs like its supposed to.

and mine does not.

Well, in the absence of competent support, I decided not to buy the upgrade.

So solly !!

BTW, I went back and looked at the article about installing VS 2015, and they dont give us any detailed instructions.

It was more about "do you want it or not?" I did make sure that I had installed the C++ component,

But that didn't seem to have any bearing on this matter. I CAN compile and run C++ programs.

And you mention "prerequsites." What are they ? They dont tell us anything.

Were not in the mind-reading business, ya know - -

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Bill, do you need help understanding step-by-step instructions with screen shots showing you what to do? It seems so. Perhaps you should hire someone to help you with the basics of using a computer.

I wrote the article about configuring VS2015 - what about it do you find lacking? Or have you not even looked at it?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Incidentally, the message I keep getting has to do with "cannot find link to pdb file.'

I am guessing that it has to do with the DEBUGGER? But shouldn't I be able to run a program

without using the debugger ? Here AGAIN is what I get:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Warning warning #31001 The dll for reading and writing the pdb (for example, mspdb110.dll) could  not be found on your path. This is usually a configuration error. Compilation will continue using /Z7 instead of /Zi, but expect a similar error when you link your program. C:\Users\Administrator\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\ConsoleApplication1\Source1.f90 1
Error error #10037: could not find 'link' Link

So what on earth is the "pdb file" ? You systems gurus probably know - - - but WE sure dont.

The above F90 file only has one line - an END statement.
0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:

Bill, do you need help understanding step-by-step instructions with screen shots showing you what to do? It seems so. Perhaps you should hire someone to help you with the basics of using a computer.

I wrote the article about configuring VS2015 - what about it do you find lacking? Or have you not even looked at it?

Like I said above, it does not give us any details about installing it.

Its more like "do you want it or not ?"

Thats the first thing I looked at when I installed VS2015 community.

I've been using computers for over 50 years.

But I am not in the mind-reading business.

Let me show you what I get :

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The pdb (Program DataBase) file contains the debugging information. What it is isn't as important as the rest of the message telling you that things are missing. It can't find the DLL for writing PDB files and can't find the linker. Both are indications, as we have been telling you over and over, that you do not have Visual Studio installed correctly. We have told you countless times how to do this, with step-by-step instructions given in the article we link to. But you seem to ignore this and keep opening new threads with the same complaints. I'm not being paid anymore to help everyone, so forgive me if I choose to not respond to future requests from you.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I used that web site to install it, and followed the instructions,

but apparently there are some important details that get omitted.

it appears that the vs2015 installer has some issues.

It would be nice to get competent advice, rather than insulting remarks.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Or maybe you skipped something.

I suggest that you uninstall Intel Parallel Studio, uninstall VS2015 and delete the Program Files (x86)\Visual Studio 12 folder from your PC. Reboot. Install VS2015 being absolutely sure to follow the steps in that article to customize the VS install. Start Visual Studio, do Help > About and make sure that it lists Visual C++ among installed components. Exit VS and then reinstall Intel Parallel Studio. 

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

It is not using visual studio 12, I think its using 14.

anyway, i am reinstalling it using the same step-by-step instructions 

I followed before.

I realize its an imposition on you, being retired, but you seem to be the only

person around who understands the use of Fortran.

anyway, we appreciate your help, esp since serious answers are so hard to get.

as I said before, I did make sure I had the C++ component, but the issue seems to NOT be related to that.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

billsincl wrote:
It is not using visual studio 12, I think its using 14.

As I said before, I did make sure I had the C++ component, but the issue seems to NOT be related to that.

Given that you have been trying various combinations of Visual Studio and Parallel Studio (as many of us have had to do as well), and your numerous posts describing the problems that you had getting things to work, it is understandable that people reading any one thread have no idea of what you have done in the past and what you learned from the experience. Most of the forum members responding to your posts are not Intel employees -- I am not an Intel employee.

Back to the issue: VS 12 or VS 14? You may have multiple versions of VS, but each version of Intel Fortran is integrated only with a subset of those VS installations -- usually, just one. It is even possible that integration of Intel Fortran with Visual Studio has so far not succeeded. In such circumstances, Fortran development may function at the command line.

If you wish to develop using the Visual Studio IDE, however, you must have Fortran integrated with it, and you can check your current status using its About Visual Studio menu item. For what it is worth, here is a screenshot of what I have for a working combination -- VS2015 Community and PS 2018 Update 3.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, I was trying to integrate Parallel studio XE 2019, you most recent release.

Do we know that it WILL in fact integrate with VS2015 ?

Well, I will look at your download - there might be some clue there.

Steve advised me to reinstall VS 2015, but I ran into problems doing that.

For one thing, it told me that the two re-distributables for C++ were already present.

apparently, just following those step by step instructions is not sufficient.

I am trying to delete everything and start over.

I did, however have the C++ components in there before.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You keep changing which VS you want to use. Recently you have been saying VS2015, which is Visual Studio 12. VS2017 is Visual Studio 14. Intel 2019 works with both.

That you get messages about C++ redistributables makes me wonder exactly WHAT you are installing for VS, since a normal VS install never mentions those.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I think the C++ redistributables were left over from when I had VS 2015 before.

and it was trying to install those AGAIN. The VS2015 I had in there was pointing to the 14.246 folder.

At least according to the BUILD logs I was getting.

Maybe it was because it was an updated (#3) version ?

anyway, I was trying to follow your step by step instructions, was not doing anything weird.

I am gonna start from scratch, see what happens.

BTW, if you look at the screenshot that mejec4 sent, it shows VS2015 pointing to a 14.0 folder.

and of course, I cant use the most recent Visual Studio until they fix that broken Fortran interface.

Was that ever done ?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Most software products carry more than one number, and that can cause confusion. However, we should acknowledge that Intel has done well recently in simplifying that aspect of their compiler products.

With Visual Studio, there is a model year, and a release version. Model years are like automobile years. The 2019 version of Parallel Studio was released in Fall 2018.

VS2015 has a version number of 14; VS2017 has a version number of 15. What you see in the screenshot that I posted are the model year and the three-part version number -- there are no folder names in the screenshot, but a folder with that number may exist on the PC on which that VS version is installed.

0 Kudos