Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

PSXE 2016 update3 vs VS2015 update 2 syntax not higlighting

Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

Hello.

I've installed the VS2015 (enterprise)update 2 and PSXE 2016 update 3, then when i started a new main program fortran project, the syntax wasn't highlighted.

Then i did what was told in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/troubleshooting-fortran-integration-issues-with-visual-studio/ , but after i did the step3, the problem still persists.

In my directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Intel Fortran\VFPackages i only have 4 files (even after doing "integrate.bat"):

VFAVWin.dll, VFHieEditor.dll, VFProj.dll, VFProjConvert.dll .

Do you have any idea what's wrong with my installation?

Thanks for your time and i hope to get the answer soon because i have only a few day to confirm the compatibility of the program before paying for the purchase.

Regards,

TRAN

0 Kudos
16 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

That folder looks like mine.  I'm no expert in the syntax highlighting, but mine has comments in green, keywords in blue, constant strings in red

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Also try the steps shown in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/problem-fortran-source-files-not-compiled-when-building-in-visual-studio

Do your Fortran programs otherwise get compiled properly?

0 Kudos
Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

Thanks Steve.

I tried the steps you said, and it didnt change anything.

Otherwise, the 'hello world' project got compiled. But my fortran codes which compiled codeblocks couldnt get compiled.

I did reinstall PSXE2016 twice but it didnt help.

Do you have any clue? Or may be there are some options need to be enabled?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Please attach a ZIP of the buildlog.htm from the failed build.

0 Kudos
Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

Hello Steve.

Here is my log file:

###############

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0 [IA-32]...
ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"Debug\\" /object:"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc140.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\\bin" "F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90"
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(104): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.   [GETPID]
            pid = getpid()
------------------^
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(410): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file.  Check INCLUDE paths.   [MODULE_CALCUL]
    use Module_calcul
--------^
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(466): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file.  Check INCLUDE paths.   [MODULE_CALCUL]
    use Module_calcul
--------^
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(506): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file.  Check INCLUDE paths.   [MODULE_CALCUL]
    use Module_calcul
--------^
compilation aborted for F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90 (code 1)

###################

My code worked perfectly in Codeblocks. I think that i missed some settings in my VS.....

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

First, in what source is module module_calcul defined? It does not appear to have been compiled. Are you doing a build of the solution or are you just compiling a single file? If the latter, then please select Build > Build Solution instead.

For the reference to GETPID, you need to put in:

USE IFPORT

in the program unit that calls this, so that it is declared. 

0 Kudos
Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

In Codeblocks, i wrote my code in one single file, all modules (all my functions are in Module_calcul), subroutines are in the head of main.f90.

I added USE IFORT right after "program main" , and rebuild the solution, it showed the same error as before.

0 Kudos
Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

Here is the subroutine which i need getid()

#############

subroutine init_random_seed()
        USE IFORT
        use iso_fortran_env, only: int64
        implicit none
        integer, allocatable :: seed(:)
        integer :: i, n, un, istat, dt(8), pid
        integer(int64) :: t

call random_seed(size = n)
        allocate(seed(n))
        ! First try if the OS provides a random number generator
        open(newunit=un, file="/dev/urandom", access="stream", &
        form="unformatted", action="read", status="old", iostat=istat)
        if (istat == 0) then
            read(un) seed
            close(un)
        else
        ! Fallback to XOR:ing the current time and pid. The PID is
        ! useful in case one launches multiple instances of the same
        ! program in parallel.
            call system_clock(t)
            if (t == 0) then
            call date_and_time(values=dt)
            t = (dt(1) - 1970) * 365_int64 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000 &
                           + dt(2) * 31_int64 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000 &
                           + dt(3) * 24_int64 * 60 * 60 * 1000 &
                           + dt(5) * 60 * 60 * 1000 &
                           + dt(6) * 60 * 1000 + dt(7) * 1000 &
                           + dt(8)
            end if
            pid = getpid()
            t = ieor(t, int(pid, kind(t)))
            do i = 1, n
                seed(i) = lcg(t)
            end do
        end if
        call random_seed(put=seed)
        contains
        ! This simple PRNG might not be good enough for real work, but is
        ! sufficient for seeding a better PRNG.
        function lcg(s)
        integer :: lcg
        integer(int64) :: s
            if (s == 0) then
                s = 104729
            else
                s = mod(s, 4294967296_int64)
            end if
                s = mod(s * 279470273_int64, 4294967291_int64)
                lcg = int(mod(s, int(huge(0), int64)), kind(0))
        end function lcg
    end subroutine init_random_seed

######################

I added Use IFORT, and a new error message:

error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file.  Check INCLUDE paths.   [IFORT]
A little more precisely about my code structure: 

Module_calcul

Contains

! all functions go here

end module_calcul

Some subroutoines

program main

end program main

Moreover, i still have problem with highlighting syntax codes.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

That should be:

USE IFPORT

The error for getpid prevented the module from compiling. Once you fix that it should be fine.

0 Kudos
Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

Sorry, my bad, i fixed it into USE IFPORT, then new error messages

###################################################

F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(79): error #6401: The attributes of this name conflict with those made accessible by a USE statement.   [SEED]
        integer, allocatable :: seed(:)
--------------------------------^
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(84): error #6424: This name has already been used as an external subroutine name.   [SEED]
        allocate(seed(n))
-----------------^
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(89): error #6424: This name has already been used as an external subroutine name.   [SEED]
            read(un) seed
---------------------^
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(108): error #6424: This name has already been used as an external subroutine name.   [SEED]
                seed(i) = lcg(t)
----------------^
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(111): error #6424: This name has already been used as an external subroutine name.   [SEED]
-----------------------------^
F:\Work_Lgpm\Modele_discret\Simpson\main.f90(111): error #6362: The data types of the argument(s) are invalid.   [RANDOM_SEED]

###################################################

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok - turns out that IFPORT has something called SEED. Change the "USE IFPORT" line to:

USE IFPORT, ONLY: GETPID

0 Kudos
Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

It compiles now but doesnt run, here are the outputs messages:

################################

'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'F:\Work_Lgpm\Codes\Code_thermique_discrete\Console5\Console5\Debug\Console5.exe'. Les symboles ont été chargés.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.207\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler\libifportmd.dll'. Module was generated without symbols.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.207\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler\libmmd.dll'. The symbols were loaded.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vcruntime140d.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbased.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.207\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler\libifcoremdd.dll'. Module was generated without symboles.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imagehlp.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.
'Console5.exe' (Win32) : Chargé 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll'. Impossible to find or open file PDB.

#########################

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The messages about lacking .pdb for those binary libraries appear to be normal, and wouldn't account for failure to run.

0 Kudos
Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

Tim P. wrote:

The messages about lacking .pdb for those binary libraries appear to be normal, and wouldn't account for failure to run.

Here are message from my terminal, this code didnt have any problem when i ran in Codeblocks. 

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit 2, file F:\Work_Lgpm\Codes\Code_thermique_discrete\Console5\Console5\Param.dat
Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source
libifcoremdd.dll   569219D2  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libifcoremdd.dll   56967C3D  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
Console5.exe       001108C5  _INIT_PARAMETERS          365  main.f90
Console5.exe       00117ED3  _MAIN__                   511  main.f90
Console5.exe       00118A0F  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
Console5.exe       0011B4FE  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
Console5.exe       0011B3CA  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
Console5.exe       0011B26D  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
Console5.exe       0011B518  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
KERNEL32.DLL       75D638F4  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
ntdll.dll          777D5DE3  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
ntdll.dll          777D5DAE  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

##########

I have the feeling that i VS ran in 32bit when i OS is 64bit. Should i reinstall my VS2015?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

VS projects default to 32-bit. You have to go into the configuration manager and add the x64 platform configuration.

Note the file path in the error message. When you run in Visual Studio the "default directory" is the project directory, not where the EXE is. You may need to move the data file.

0 Kudos
Thi_Bich_Thuy_T_
Beginner

Hello Steve,

I've reinstalled VS and PSXE in programfile(x86), and everything works fine.

Thanks for all.

0 Kudos