Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

PSXE 2019 Update 2 - many deprecated OS and IDE Versions

Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Dear Intel team,

I read the release notes for PSXE 2019 update 2 and I was a more than a little bit puzzled by the information, what is deprecated with update 2. Other software vendors announce the support end for certain things long before and do this with major releases and not with a minor (bug fix) release. Maybe I missed this information.

Here a citation of the release note:

Changes in Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 2:

• All tools updated to the latest version.
  • Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 2 includes functional and security updates. Users should update to the latest version.
  • Support for the following operating systems is being deprecated:
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux* 6
    • Ubuntu* LTS 14.04, 18.10
    • Fedora* 27, 28, 29
    • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server* 11
    • Debian* 8
    • Microsoft Windows* 7, Server 2012
    • macOS* 10.13
  • Support for the following IDEs is being deprecated:
    • Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013, 2015
    • Xcode* 9.x
  • Support for the Microsoft Visual Studio Shell* is being deprecated.

Especially VS 2015 support end is not in line with the tradition to support of the latest 2 versions of VS. VS 2019 is not released yet, isn't it? Not to mention that the VS 2017 integration seems not to be flawless...

What does it mean that VS Shell is not supported anymore? Does every user needs VS professional by now on? Or will you support VS Code?

Please, Intel team, give us a comment on this topic.

PS: We wait still for a bug fix list... (e.g. see thread: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/702188)

PPS: The Intel Fortran compiler release notes are still meaningsless: Intel® Fortran Compiler 19.0 Update 2 includes functional and security updates. Users should update to the latest version. (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-190-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2019) What should this information help?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Thanks Steve, I can confirm this. The update to VS 2017 15.9.7 works fine with PSXE2019 U2 for me too. No reinstallion of integration needed. That went smooth. Thumb up.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

MS has again released a VS 2017 minor bug fix update (VS 2017 15.9.8). Has anybody brave tested the impact on PSXE 2019 integration?

@Intel team: Can you say whether minor releases (third digit) will have an impact in general. I don't like to ask here every time...

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

johannes k. wrote:

MS has again released a VS 2017 minor bug fix update (VS 2017 15.9.8). Has anybody brave tested the impact on PSXE 2019 integration?

@Intel team: Can you say whether minor releases (third digit) will have an impact in general. I don't like to ask here every time...

I can't answer your question but in my experience applying a VS update often breaks the fortran integration requiring a fortran reinstall. In some cases it becomes totally broken and a full reinstall of the original versions is needed. Having been bitten this way I don't tend to risk VS minor updates as rarely (in a fortran only environment) do you see any benefit from the update.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My experience is that MOST VS minor updates have no effect on the Intel integration. There was a period where it seemed every one did, but I think MS got the message about that.

I tried 15.9.8 and it works fine with PSXE2019 (at least for Fortran)

0 Kudos
sandal__bilel
Beginner
This comment has been moved to its own thread
0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:
.... There was a period where it seemed every one did, .....

There was I hit my thumb with a hammer, it hurt a lot so I haven't tried it since. :-)

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

UPDATE: PSXE 2019 update 3 integrates fine into VS 2015/2017 Professional. VS 2017 version updates from 15.9.7 to 15.9.8 and 15.9.9 run smooth with PSXE 2019 u3 Fortran solutions, too. For me at least.

0 Kudos