Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Parallel Studio XE 2016 Installation

Alemdar__Bulent
Beginner

Hi

I keep several FORTRAN installations in my machine, and they are located at the same location in my C drive. For example,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013.198

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015.5.280

this allows me to switch between different versions, not only for FORTRAN compiler but also between different MKL versions.

Recently installed Parallel Studio XE 2016 (composer edition for FORTRAN setup), but it is placed at this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools

Is there any reason for this change?  Also, I wonder there is any significant changes between Composer 2015 and Composer 2016 versions.

Regards

Bulent

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The directory structure changes are intentional.  There are some details discussed in the short article New Directory Layout for Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016. The changes will not impact your ability to continue to have multiple releases installed and switch between those. The integrations with Visual Studio continue to support selecting specific Intel compiler versions under the MSVS IDE. For command-line usage, the same collections of shortcuts are created within the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 program group to quickly open a pre-initialized command-prompt window.

Regarding what’s new, there are details available for the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 suite of products and specifically for Fortran.

Refer to the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 Release Notes and What’s New in Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 video for information about the complete set of development tools.

For Fortran specifically, refer to the Intel® Fortran Compiler 16.0 Release Notes and What’s New in Intel® Fortran 16.0 for Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2016 video.

There is also some additional details in the forum sticky post, Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 has been released!

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The installer gives you the option to change from the default installation folders.  I don't see that what places are chosen makes any difference when selecting among the installed versions.  Perhaps it does when reconciling .cfg files.

It seems there was an attempt to collect more of the various psxe components under a single top level folder, which makes sense when you have more than just a single compiler.

There was a move toward withdrawing support for installing compilers and running MPI on 32-bit OS.

I suppose you must compare the release notes of your installed versions to see which updates since 2015u3 the Intel Tools team considered significant enough to quote there, and which were intended to be present in both current versions.   I note that 2016 quotes Windows 10 support, although that doesn't apply to all psxe components yet, just as the support for future AVX512 platforms is quoted as applying to selected components.

0 Kudos
rex_w_
Beginner

When I install the Parallel Studio XE 2016, the directory can not be changed. My disk C has not so much room, how could I do?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

@rex w. - You can choose an alternative installation location during the installation flow. Upon completion of the Activation step, you will see the Installation Summary dialog with the Customize button at the bottom of it. Pressing the Customize button, you activate the Options step. Follow the Options flow which enables you to customize your installation, this includes changing the installation path.

0 Kudos