Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Port Fortran Power Station 4.0 Project to Intel Visual Fortran Project/Solution

Schabort__Victor
Beginner

I have code developed with visual components / dialogs written in Fortran Power Station that I want to port to Intel Parallel Studio in Microsoft Visual Studio.

Is there any economical way port the project files into the new environment?

0 Kudos
31 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Do a full build and post buildlog.html. 

0 Kudos
Schabort__Victor
Beginner

Thanks, here is the build html in a zip. (of the TEMP demo)

Would it be possible to TeamView to check my installation?

I suspect some problem with the installation or the custom build step setting.

I did do a command line compilation of the rc file successfully, but the .res file is not linked to the .exe....

----

As a backup, I compiled the Fortran Application on MVS 1997 with Digital Fortan on an old WinXP machine. Everything worked perfectly....

But it would not run on Windows 10 on my new machine.

----

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

"Performing Custom Build Step... TEMP : warning PRJ0042 : The 'Outputs' property for the custom build step for file 'TEMP.RC' is not set. The custom build step will be skipped."

I uploaded a screen grab of the properties page for TEMP.RC  (right click in solution explorer to pop menu to access the properties page). Check your settings for this, I guess "outputs" is not set.

0 Kudos
Schabort__Victor
Beginner

Thanks for that. My settings are exactly the same....

Still not working...

temp.res does not link.....

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Andrew (Victor),

This may or may not be of importance:

Victor's BuildLog shows x64 build, Andrew's prop-page1.JPG shows Resources | General for Win32 Debug build.

IOW Settings like this will not specify Resource to be build when building x64 (Debug). The resource settings should be specified in the x64 Platform and Configurations as well.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I used the intel sample and Vfprog file "straight out of the box". The Buildlog is as follows Victors does not show the first step (create .fd) and failed on Rc command:

Generating resource.fd

deftofd ..\src\resource.h ..\src\resource.fd

Compiling resources...

Rc /fo "Debug/TEMP.res" "C:\Users\cadfi\Desktop\TEMP\src\TEMP.RC"

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 10.0.10011.16384 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 18.0.2.185 [IA-32]... ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /module:"Debug/" /object:"Debug/" /Fd"Debug\vc150.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /c /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\\bin" /Qm32 "C:\Users\cadfi\Desktop\TEMP\src\TEMP.F90" Linking... Link /OUT:"Debug/TEMP.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"Debug\TEMP.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"Debug/TEMP.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /IMPLIB:"C:\Users\cadfi\Desktop\TEMP\Msvs\Debug\TEMP.lib" -qm32 "Debug/TEMP.obj" "Debug/TEMP.res" Embedding manifest... mt.exe /nologo /outputresource:"C:\Users\cadfi\Desktop\TEMP\Msvs\Debug\TEMP.exe;#1" /manifest "Debug\TEMP.exe.intermediate.manifest" TEMP - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

0 Kudos
Schabort__Victor
Beginner

Ok, I checked that all files are processed, the fortran header file from .h and the .res file from rc

resource.fd, Temp.obj and Temp.res are all created

But the .res file is not linked with the temp.obj. Where do I tell it to add temp.res in the ifort and link steps?

Build Output for Temp.exe

Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'TEMP', configuration 'Release|Win32'.

Compiling Resources rc file rc /fo "C:\Users\Vic\OneDrive\Documents\DATA\Software Installs\Parallel Studio XE - Fortran\ipsxe2018_samples_win_20171109\compiler_f\Dialog\TEMP\Msvs\Release\Temp.res" "C:\Users\Vic\OneDrive\Documents\DATA\Software Installs\Parallel Studio XE - Fortran\ipsxe2018_samples_win_20171109\compiler_f\Dialog\TEMP\src\temp.rc"

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 10.0.10011.16384 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Performing deftofd on .h file deftofd ..\src\resource.h ..\src\resource.fd Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 18.0.2.185 [IA-32]...

ifort /nologo /O2 /module:"Release/" /object:"Release/" /Fd"Release\vc140.pdb" /check:all /libs:static /threads /c /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Intel Fortran\Microsoft Files\VC\\bin" /Qm32 "C:\Users\Vic\OneDrive\Documents\DATA\Software Installs\Parallel Studio XE - Fortran\ipsxe2018_samples_win_20171109\compiler_f\Dialog\TEMP\src\TEMP.F90"

ifort: warning #10182: disabling optimization; runtime debug checks enabled Linking...

Link /OUT:"Release/TEMP.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"Release\TEMP.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /IMPLIB:"C:\Users\Vic\OneDrive\Documents\DATA\Software Installs\Parallel Studio XE - Fortran\ipsxe2018_samples_win_20171109\compiler_f\Dialog\TEMP\Msvs\Release\TEMP.lib" -qm32 "Release\TEMP.obj" Embedding manifest... mt.exe /nologo /outputresource:"C:\Users\Vic\OneDrive\Documents\DATA\Software Installs\Parallel Studio XE - Fortran\ipsxe2018_samples_win_20171109\compiler_f\Dialog\TEMP\Msvs\Release\TEMP.exe;#1" /manifest "Release\TEMP.exe.intermediate.manifest" TEMP - 0 error(s), 1 warning(s)

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

In my Buildlog "Debug/TEMP.res" is included on the link line command. It is missing in your buildlog. I do not know why. I guess this is the problem!

I looked through the project settings there seems to be no explicit setting that adds the res or indeed obj files to the link line. I guess it knows what is in the project already.  Maybe some other user knows how this works?

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Does your executable project have the project with the resource listed as a dependency?

Resource3.jpg

In the above, Project A_AVFRTControlPanel contains the control panel .f90 files together with the resource.* files. The executable Project is GTOSS and which has as a dependency Project A_AVFRTControlPanel.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Schabort__Victor
Beginner

Jim, I am not sure what you mean, or how to answer you. As far as I can see, all the dependencies are correctly setup.

Anyway - I got the demo goiing now.

I have noticed the Fortran Compiler environment macros pointing to include folders is outdated and refers to Win SDK 8.1, but should refer to SDK 10.0

This is in Tools/Options/Compilers/Intel Compilers and Tools/Compilers/Includes

I don't know where to change the macros however.

I have also installed MVS 2017 and re-installed Fortran Par Studio XE.

The resource Editor(now included) still does not open the .rc files for a Fortran project resource (due to the outdated  #include settings it seems).

OK, but I got the old code goiing and it runs with violation errors - see attachment

Maybe I should use debugger....?

0 Kudos
Schabort__Victor
Beginner

I GOT IT GOIING AT LAST.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Although there are still a problem with the Resource Editor - But I am sure I will sort it out....

0 Kudos