Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Q about solving a linear system using INTEL MKL

WSinc
New Contributor I

I want to solve the equation A*X=B, where A is a square matrix, and X and B are vectors,

Ex: real(8) A(10,10), x(10), B(10)

I was going to use the INTEL MKL - - - 

The routine that I see for that assumes that A is a TRIANGULAR matrix

(could be upper or lower), but I could not find a routine that assumes A is any general matrix.

Nor could I find a routine that converts A into a triangular matrix,

Does that mean I have to write code to first convert A into the proper format ?

Of course the right side (B) must also be transformed accordingly

It would be nice to have a simple example somewhere.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WSinc
New Contributor I

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The straightforward choice of driver routine for solving simultaneous linear equations is DGESV, as you can see at https://software.intel.com/en-us/mkl-developer-reference-fortran-lapack-linear-equation-driver-routines . The example source code for using DGESV is ...\windows\mkl\examples\lapackf\source\dgesvx.f .

Questions on MKL usage are better posted in the MKL forum, which Steve pointed out with a link.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

What is even more confusing is that I cannot use later versions of VS for a Fortran source code program.

It used to be that I could start a new project, and start adding Fortran source code, but with VS 2017 I cant do that any longer.

So what product should I be using for my FORTRAN project IDE ?

I would like to use the latest tools available, if possible.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Bill, it would help us help you if you'd actually describe the problem rather than just complaining about it.

There is an issue with the latest VS2017 update (15.0.8) and Intel Fortran. 15.0.6 works, but if you already have the newer one you are stuck, as I don't think MS makes the earlier updates available. You could uninstall Intel Parallel Studio XE and VS2017, then reinstall VS2017 and NOT UPDATE IT, then Fortran will work (after you reinstall that.)

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I looked and it says my current version is 15.7.5.  DatedJuly 26.

That does not correspond with what you say above.

It says that the next update is 15.8.1. I did not click on that.

So, how do I get the version that actually does work ?

Should I abandon Intel products, like my friend recommended ?

They evidently dont care much about their customer s - - - - 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Microsoft broke the integration. 15.6 is the last version known to work. As I suggested, you would have to uninstall both, reinstall and then not update VS until a resolution is provided.

0 Kudos