Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Questions about Fortran Compiler

XING_W_
Beginner

Dear All

I am trying to generate a S-function with extension .mex32 by MATLAB2015a (32bit). I typed mex -setup in to the command window and try to select a Fortran compiler while there is a eorror like this. 

Error using mex
No supported compiler or SDK was found. For options, visit 
http://www.mathworks.com/support/compilers/R2015a/win32.html.

I am wondering what is the reason for this. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016. In this case, could I compile a S-function with Fortran as the source file? If not, what should I do as I can not find the old version of Intel Parallel Studio XE on line.

Regards

XING WEI

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This really sounds like a Matlab question. Have you tried asking Matlab support? I note that the URL in the error message no longer works.

0 Kudos
XING_W_
Beginner

Dear Steve

Maybe I did not copy all the words shown on Matlab. It is as follows.

mex -setup
MEX configured to use 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Professional (C)' for C language compilation.
Warning: The MATLAB C and Fortran API has changed to support MATLAB
     variables with more than 2^32-1 elements. In the near future
     you will be required to update your code to utilize the
     new API. You can find more information about this at:
     http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_external/upgrading-mex-files-to-use-64-bit-api.html.

To choose a different C compiler, select one from the following:
lcc-win32  mex -setup:'C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\R2015a\bin\win32\mexopts\lcc-win32.xml' C
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Professional (C)  mex -setup:C:\Users\u1591961\AppData\Roaming\MathWorks\MATLAB\R2015a\mex_C_win32.xml C

To choose a different language, select one from the following:
 mex -setup C++ 
 mex -setup FORTRAN
Error using mex
No supported compiler or SDK was found. For options, visit 
http://www.mathworks.com/support/compilers/R2015a/win32.html.

I would like to choose a compiler for Fortran hence I clicked  mex -setup FORTRAN and then the error message appeared. Actually I am wondering if Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 is compatible with MATLAB 2015a (32bit) because I am using Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 and Microsoft Visual Studio and MATLAB 2015a (32bit) to generate S-function. Thank you!

Regards

XING WEI

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There is one thing to try to solve the solve the problem. Sometimes, it will work. Open a 32-bit Intel Fortran Command Window from the Start Menu; run Matlab from that command window (you may need to type the full path to the Matlab EXE); do "mex -setup" inside the Matlab command window.

Personally, I have found it a lot easier to build Mex files inside a Fortran or C compiler command window, outside of Matlab, after adjusting %PATH%, %INCLUDE% and %LIB% to include the respective Matlab extern directories.

0 Kudos
XING_W_
Beginner

Dear Mecej4

I tried to open MATLAB from Intel Fortran Command Window while when I do "mex -setup", the error still exists.  Actually I am worrying that the version Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 I am using dose not match with MATLAB 2015a. Can anyone tell me about that?

Regards

XING WEI 

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Xing Wei: As I hinted in #4, the Matlab Mex setup script is unnecessarily strict. However, it may be possible to build a .mex file outside Matlab and then use it from Matlab. I have Matlab 2015a under Windows 10, so I can try to build a .mex file if you provide the source file (I do not use Simulink, nor do I have it installed, so if Simulink libraries are needed to build an S-function .mex, I cannot help).

0 Kudos