Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28385 Discussions

Reference material for coding Windows application in FORTRAN

OP1
New Contributor II
Besides the examples that ship with the compiler, is there a good modern starting point/reference document for programming Windows applications (SDI or MDI) in Fortran?

Thanks in advance,

Olivier
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I would suggest Compaq Visual Fortran: A Guide to Creating Windows Applications by Norman Lawrence. Pretty much all of it is still applicable to Intel Visual Fortran.
0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II
That's a good book, and the examples can be found with enhancements (but not bug fixes) in the companion web site. A major issue about the book is that it uses hard-wired KIND numbers everywhere, thus breakingin 64-bit environments. It would be nice if some of the fans of the book rewrote the examples with appropriate named constants for these KIND numbers, elimination of unnecessary extensions, and bug fixes. I've got a chunk modified in this fashion, for example, and a few more readers could likely come up with a more or less complete set if our activities were coordinated in some fashion.
0 Kudos
OP1
New Contributor II
Thanks for the suggestion - this is was I had been told as well; I was just hoping for a more recent/modern presentation, especially since IVF has gone through significant changes and upgrades since then.

Olivier
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, but the fundamentals of Windows API programming have not changed and we've tried to maintain compatibility with the older techniques. Indeed, the major issue to look for is the need to use kind values such as HANDLE or PVOID where Lawrence's book assumed 32-bits always.
0 Kudos