Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Removing Parallel Studio 2017

mullervki
Beginner

Hello,

I have Parallel Studio 2016 Cluster version installed. As the new 2017 version came out I downloaded to try it out. Of course, it installed itself inside my Visual Studio 2013. After trying it out I went ahead an uninstalled it. I also reinstalled Parallel Studio 2016. But now I have problems.

As I open my project I get a message "An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension. You can get more information by examining the file ...\VisualStudio\12.0\ActivityLog.xml". I looked into that file and there are several errors I don't know how to resolve:

1) Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
          C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 12.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\INTEL\DEBUGGEREXTENSION\MIC\LAUNCHER\MIDebugLauncher.dll

2) System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Intel.Misc.Utilities, Version=17.0.12.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5caa3becd8c4c9ee' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Intel.Misc.Utilities, Version=17.0.12.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5caa3becd8c4c9ee' at Intel.Compiler.IDE.OptReports.DB.DBUtilities..ctor() at Intel.Compiler.IDE.OptReports.DB.DBUtilities.GetInstance() at Intel.CommonTools.CompilerReportProvider.UpdateCompilerToolWindows(EventKind event, Boolean showPane) at Intel.CommonTools.Annotations.AnnotationFactory.UpdateAnnotationTags() at Intel.CommonTools.Annotations.AnnotationFactory..ctor(IWpfTextView view, ITagAggregator`1 annotationTagAggregator) at Intel.CommonTools.Annotations.AnnotationFactory.<>c__DisplayClass1.<GetInstance>b__0() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.PropertyCollection.GetOrCreateSingletonProperty(Object key, Func`1 creator) at Intel.CommonTools.Annotations.AnnotationFactory.GetInstance(IWpfTextView textView, ITagAggregator`1 annotationTagAggregator) at Intel.CommonTools.Annotations.AnnotationFactoriesProvider.Create(IWpfTextView textView) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextView.<BindContentTypeSpecificAssets>b__8(ILineTransformSourceProvider p) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.InstantiateExtension[TExtension,TMetadata,TExtensionInstance](Object errorSource, Lazy`2 provider, Func`2 getter) WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Note that item (2) above refers to version 17 of Intel.Misc.Utilities. I wonder whether this is related to Parallel Studio 2017 which has been removed but somehow left a trace of it inside Visual Studio 2013 that was not removed when I uninstalled it. Also, the suggestions regarding the registry value wasn't of much help as I was unable to find it.

Can somebody help me clean up my Visual Studio 2013 installation? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling VS. It only made things worse: item (1) did not appear before and now it does.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Dear customer,

The SUS forum team solving any license, registration & downloading which relevant to licensing. I am afraid we could not proper solve your problem cause they are more involved in Intel compiler VS integration. 

I will transfer your issue to Compiler team, thank you.

Best regards,
Fiona

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, mullervki

Could you check your project settings, does it still config to use the Intel compiler 17.0 platform. E.g. 

Check file: *.vcxproj, find any attribute regarding:

<PlatformToolset>Intel C++ Compiler 17.0</PlatformToolset>

If yes, please try change all 17.0 to 16.0 (if you have Parallel Studio 2016), see if it works.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mullervki
Beginner

Hi Yolanda,

I have no instance of "Intel C++ Compiler 17.0" in my project. I am not using the Intel compiler in this project, but the Microsoft compiler.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Mullervki

When you installed Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2017, did you also install the Intel C++/Fortran compiler component, or the debugger extension for MIC?

Your first error refers missing the debugger extension for MIC, while the second one refers to integration of Intel Compiler component with Visual Studio.

There were similar issue regarding the error before:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-parallel-studio/topic/393179

Could you try install Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2017, make sure to uncheck the Intel Compiler component, will you receive any errors or recover Visual Studio 2013?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mullervki
Beginner

Hi Yolanda,

Yes; I did install the FORTRAN compiler.

I'll give this a try. It may take me a few days to find the time to do this as installation/removal of Parallel Studio XE takes quite some time.

But let me make sure I understand what you are asking:

1) Uninstall my current version of Parallel Studio XE 2016.

2) Install Parallel Studio XE 2017 again, but this time do a custom installation and uncheck Intel Compiler component. This will probably install the integration pf PS-XE 2017 inside Visual Studio.

3) Then uninstall PS-XE 2017

4) Re-install PS-XE 2016.

Are these the correct steps? I want to make sure than in the end I have PS-XE 2016 working and fully integrated with Visual Studio.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Mullervki

Thank you for the information.

I moved this to Intel Fortran for Windows* forum.

You don't need to uninstall Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 firstly, it can co-exist with Parallel Studio XE 2017.

The steps I propose:

1) Install Parallel Studio XE 2017 again, but this time do a custom installation: uncheck Intel Compiler component and Intel debugger extensions. Also make sure to uncheck Visual Studio 2013 integration.

2) At this time, check whether Visual Studio 2013 is recovered?

3) Then uninstall IPS-XE 2017。

4) Run IPS-XE 2016 installer, select modify and make sure Visual Studio 2013 integration is selected to install.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mullervki
Beginner

Hi Yolanda,

I did as you suggested but the problem did not go away. In addition, as I tried to reinstall IPS-XE 2017 it warned me that I only had a couple of days left on my trial license. So pretty soon I won't be able to uninstall/reinstall it again.

Any other suggestions on how I can fix this problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Mullervki

I'm sorry to hear this. We can extend you 30 days evaluation once to help you resolve the issue.

I'm now trying to setup an environment and see if I can reproduce your problem. I will let you know when I have an update on this issue.

Another possible workaround is to install Intel Fortran 2017 with the VS2013 integration again, see if it will recover your Visual studio 2013?

Since IPS XE 2017 can co-exist with IPS XE 2016, it should still work for you to use 2016. When we found the root-cause or fix the issue, you can try uninstall 2017 then.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Mullervki

Just to confirm with you, did you install the IPS XE Cluster edition 2017 initial release, or Update 1 or 2?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
krishna_m_
Beginner

I had a problem with the removal of Visual Studio community 2015. Due to its big size (~10GB without other dependent packages!) 

uninstallation was problematic. Tried several times but it didn't go from the System (as I could see from the Control Panel....)

Please follow the link https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/support/vs2015/uninstall-visual-studio-2015/ and for me, it worked.

In my case I used:  vs_community.exe /uninstall /force in CMD Shell (as admin)

Hope this helps

Krishnamohan 

0 Kudos