Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Running IA-32 Fortran exes in Windows 10

NotThatItMatters
Beginner

I have an exe which is compiled IA-32 which is launched via VB.  We are noting on our newest Windows 10 laptops that the running of the exe "hangs" for approximately 60 seconds before continuing.  The app is a QuickWin app with a few Windows API calls.

If I launch the equivalent exe which is compiled Intel(R) 64, the exe runs without any "hanging."  What could be the source of this?

Dazed and confused

0 Kudos
32 Replies
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Here are the linker settings from the vfproj file for the app.

Configuration Name="Debug|Win32"
<Tool Name="VFLinkerTool" OutputFile="$(OUTDIR)/###.exe"
 LinkIncremental="linkIncrementalNo" SuppressStartupBanner="true"
 GenerateDebugInformation="true" ProgramDatabaseFile="$(OUTDIR)/###.pdb"
 SubSystem="subSystemWindowsXP"/>

Configuration Name="Debug|x64"
<Tool Name="VFLinkerTool" OutputFile="$(OUTDIR)/###64.exe"
 LinkIncremental="linkIncrementalNo" SuppressStartupBanner="true"
 GenerateDebugInformation="true" ProgramDatabaseFile="$(OUTDIR)/###.pdb"
 AdditionalOptions="/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,&quot;5.02&quot;"/>

With the testing I have done on the code, these are the only settings which allow the application to run without problems of steady resizing and incomplete scrolling of text lines in the MYSCREEN window configuration.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I don't see "subSystemWindowsXP" as a valid option according to MSDN. Where did you find that? Otherwise you are specifying Windows XP compatibility. Why this should affect your GUI performance, I don't know. You may want to ask about this in MSDN forums.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

With the "hang" do you know exactly where this happens, is is before your code executes proper or is it actually in your code? Perhaps I am covering old ground but grabbing the system time at a few points near the start of your program will allow you to pinpoint the exact point at which the delay occurs.

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Again, that is directly copied from my project file.   SubSystem="subSystemWindowsXP" is equivalent to the option Windows for Windows XP (/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,"5.1").

Again, the "hang" has been eliminated, but it was happening with an IA-32 executable which was compiled with the linker setting

AdditionalOptions="/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,&quot;5.01&quot;"

The "hang" occurred right at startup of the app.  The QuickWin window would form, but it had not title, no menus, no nothing and would sit there for roughly a minute before it would fully form itself and start program execution.

I cannot remember precisely where the options "5.01" and "5.02" came from, but I do remember a forum topic on this a year or more ago and I also recall finding this via Google at some point.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

5.01 and 5.02 I understand - those are the correct versions for XP32 and XP64. But "subSystemWindowsXP" is unknown to me, MSDN and Google.

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

I'm not making this up.  My current VS implementation of Intel Composer is producing the subSystemWindowsXP.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Would you please attach the .vfproj file?

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Is there any way to specify

/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,"5.02"

for an Intel(R) 64 executable without using "Additional Options:"?  When I choose the System:SubSystem option "Windows for Windows XP (/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,"5.1")" I get the warning

LINK : warning LNK4010: invalid subsystem version number 5.01; default subsystem version assumed

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This was a bug fixed in version 16.

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

So I guess that settles it.  Damn the torpedoes, version 16.

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

As per my question #21, what is the future of QuickWin graphics?  Is this using GDI or GDI+?  Is there something inherent in QuickWin which is demanding /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,"5.1" (Windows XP) or is this a problem with my code?

Still dazed and confused

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

As far as I know, the subsystem thing is merely an executable file format issue. It shouldn't affect how the program runs, but there may be some subtle thing I am not aware of. QuickWin code is quite ancient and has not changed materially since the late 1990s. If you can provide a standalone test case we can look at, we'll give it a shot.

Regarding the future of QuickWin, we have no plans to extend it nor to retire it. You may want to consider alternatives such as GINOMENU or Winteracter (or even Xeffort) if QuickWin is not meeting your needs.

0 Kudos