Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Significant problems with Visual Studio in Windows 10

Ralph_Nelson
Novice

I need to use the Intel Fortran compiler and have downloaded a trial version of parallel_studio_xe_2017_update1_setup.  Was trying to setup via Visual Studio but having zero success in getting VS2015 on Windows 10.  Nothing works, thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IanH
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps you could elaborate on "Nothing works".

For the trial variant of the Fortran compiler, you get Visual Studio from Microsoft.  They offer free trials, and a free "community" edition.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I am going to take a guess and suggest that you read https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-visual-studio-2015-for-use-with-intel-compilers

Let us know what happens.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Apologizes for being unclear about my problem.

Problems (side-by-side errors) with installation of MS Visual Studio regarding missing dll's not being installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE. For example: "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe". Dependent Assembly coloader80.dll, processor Architecture="X86",type="w in32",version="1.0.0.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis."

List of missing dll's and exe's:
debuggerproxy.dll
coloader80.dll
vcredist_arm.exe
filetypeverifier.exe
oleview.exe
VsGa.exe
signtool.exe
SetPoint.exe
signtool.exe.Manifest

Note: no other VS version on machine and the files are not in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE

Tried complete uninstall, repair, used both web and ISO installation, etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It sure looks like your problem is all related to the incomplete VS2015 install. It's no surprise then that you can't use Intel Fortran. You'll need to resolve the VS2015 issue first and perhaps you can find some help in the Microsoft community forums. Attaching the log there would be useful.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Thanks Steve.  Posted over there is weekend and just got an answer ---- pretty much the same you guessed.  I'll work through the details again to address their suggestions and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

FYI, no need to reply.

Don't try VS2015 in Windows 10.  MS hasn't a solution to the issue(s) that arise.  I've lost a week of my  Parallel XE Studio trial due to this issue.  Call me stupid for working with MS on the issue.  Intel is not responsible for my waste of time.

VS2013 works fine.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I have VS2015 working fine on WIndows 10 - I wonder what caused the problems you had.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Good to know.  When and if I reinstall the OS, I'll try VS2015 hoping the new installation will correct whatever my problems are.  At this point that action is a real pain the the a$$.

0 Kudos