Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Trying Fortran Composer 2013 Evaluation and keeping IVF 11.1

Wiland__Bruce
Beginner

I am trying to test Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 (Evaluation version) while still keeping Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional 11.1 on my machine. The release notes say “When installing an updated version of the product, you do not need to remove the older version first” and that you can keep both.

However, when I try to install the evaluation version of Fortran Composer 2013, it says that Intel Visual Fortran Compiler 11.1 IDE in Microsoft Visual Studio will be uninstalled. I do not want version 11.1 to be uninstalled.

Is there any way to keep 11.1 installed and still test out the evaluation version of Composer XE 2013?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You would need to use two different versions of Visual Studio for that combination.  See How can I use older versions of the compiler with different versions of Microsoft Visual Studio*?

0 Kudos
Wiland__Bruce
Beginner

I read the article you mentioned. I only have one version of Visual Studio installed (Visual Studio 2008 Standard - v9.0). Can I do the following?

1) Make a copy of the Intel Fortran folder in the folder Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 containing the 11.1 IDE.
2) Install XE2013.
3) Make another copy of the Intel Fortran folder in the folder Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 containing the XE2013 IDE.
4) Switch back and forth between 11.1 and XE2013 by copying the correct version of the saved Intel Fortran folder back into the original Intel Fortran folder.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No, you can't do that.  You could download a trial version of VS2012 from Microsoft and install Composer XE 2013 into that, following the advice in the article's second part for preserving the old integration in VS2008.

If you buy the product, you can use the included VS2010 Shell instead of VS2012.

0 Kudos