Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unexpected run-time exception with assignment of variable with ALLOCATABLE attribute in BLOCK construct

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

The following simple code compiles ok but generates an unexpected run-time exception:

module m

implicit none

private

type, public :: t
   end type

end module
program p

use m, only : t

implicit none

type(t), allocatable :: foo(:)
   type(t), allocatable :: bar(:)

blk1: block
      allocate( foo(1) )
   end block blk1

blk2: block
      allocate( bar(1) )
   end block blk2

blk3: block
      print *, "allocated(foo)? = ", allocated(foo)
      print *, "allocated(bar)? = ", allocated(bar)
      bar = foo
   end block blk3

stop

end program p
C:\..>ifort /c /standard-semantics /warn:all /stand /traceback
 m.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R
) 64, Version 17.0.0.109 Build 20160721
Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\..>ifort /c /standard-semantics /warn:all /stand /traceback
 p.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R
) 64, Version 17.0.0.109 Build 20160721
Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\..>link /out:p.exe /subsystem:console p.obj m.obj
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 12.00.40629.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\..>p.exe
 allocated(foo)? =  T
 allocated(bar)? =  T
forrtl: severe (157): Program Exception - access violation
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source

p.exe              000000013F6F1276  MAIN__                     21  p.f90
p.exe              000000013F73E2DE  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
p.exe              000000013F73E5B4  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
kernel32.dll       00000000772259CD  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
ntdll.dll          000000007745A2E1  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks, we'll check it out.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Looks like the block is handling the allocation(/deallocation) as it does for subroutine call. (edit, though the allocated status reports T, the pointer to the allocation within the array descriptor may have been deallocated)

Does it fail when you change allocatable to pointer? (pointers are not deallocated on subroutine exit)

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It's not that simple. The arrays are not being deallocated as the blocks exit. I see the following:

• The access violation is reproducible in 17.0.0 but not in 17.0.1
  • The access violation is happening when an attempt is made to move the data (though the types are zero sized)
  • There is a single deallocate call at the beginning of the assignment code, but it gets skipped over in both versions. It shouldn't be there at all, however. The F2003 allocatable array assignment semantics are handled by a different call that works correctly (and does nothing because the two arrays are already the same shape.)

I have escalated this as issue DPD200415609 because I think there is still a bug, it's just masked. That deallocate call doesn't belong, even if it isn't executed.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

... does the use of POINTER suffice for a work around?

Note, use of POINTER will require explicit deallocation prior to procedure exit.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Steve, for your feedback and the incident submission.

Jim,

Re: "does the use of POINTER suffice for a work around?", not sure if you were addressing your suggestion to Steve or me.  Just fyi, I just happened to stumble on the issue due to improperly constructed BLOCK sections; once the code was structured better, it became a non-issue.  Nonetheless it will be most useful if the compiler is fixed per Steve's instructions.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I too prefer compiler fixes. This said, answers like #4 do not provide a work around, and therefor I feel are incomplete. My posts, here and on other forums, generally address both problem and potential work around. While it is good to know that Intel software engineering have a reproducer and are working on a solution, this often leads the OP's being stuck awaiting a solution. Considering the quality of your other posts on the forums, you likely have your own work around, while other readers of this thread may not be as adept.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I didn't suggest a workaround because I couldn't think of one that I thought was a "drop-in replacement". I am generally loathe to recommend replacing allocatables with pointers. I didn't assume that this small program was necessarily representative of the application as a whole.

0 Kudos