Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

VS 2019 Version 16.5.0 Preview 3.0

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

This is the latest preview version Version 16.5.0 Preview 3.0

It destroys the Intel Color coding of edited Fortran edited files on installation and requires a full reinstallation - not recommended unless you have 2 hours to waste

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear John,

Do you have any problem in VS editor when editing the Fortran code like this?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler/topic/721154

What environment do you work for your Fortran project? 

Thanks,

Tang Laoya

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I do fairly standard Fortran programming in VS 2019.  

The editor in VS is exactly the same as the Notepad++ and Vedit editors - I can see no difference in speed or utility. 

The last update 2.0 broke the Fortran Editor and I had to reload VS and Intel to solve the problem.  

The latest update last week did not break anything. 

There is no slowing of the program I can see

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Note that Jon is using beta versions of Visual Studio.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Thanks, John. It seems that I have to use a replacement of VS editor to edit my Fortran code currently. But I wish this problem can be solved soon.

Dear Steve,

I don't know whether the Intel Parallel Studio have its own integrated editor like VS editor, can I set the Fortran code use its own integrated editor instead of VS's editor?

Thanks,
Tang Laoya

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Intel Visual Fortran uses Visual Studio's code editor, with Fortran-friendly features. But you can use any editor you like.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Steve noted :: Note that John is using beta versions of Visual Studio.

Actually I use both the VS 2019 and the VS 2019 Preview,  but I also program a lot in C# and the rapid changes to NET and C# make staying up with Preview worth while. 

Both editors perform fine on a HP Core i5 or a NUC Core i3.  

The NUC Core i3 has the same rating as an old CORE I7 my daughter uses. 

The question then is "What computer are you using?"

I also use Windows 10 preview, in reality, Windows is now a simple service - you will be running a specific release - at the moment I am on 19569, if you do a WINVER you can see your release, but it is probably about 19000 - give or take -- I looked up the latest Windows update, you would be now running the version released in Aug last year.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is up-to-date with features included in Windows Insider builds up to build 19041.113, released on Feb. 27, 2020. We originally published it on Aug. 28, 2019, and have been updating it throughout Microsoft’s development process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although one takes some potential risk in using the Preview, it is usually ok and the trouble are usually resolved quickly. 

Of course a large work place will be running Windows 95 Version A.  

0 Kudos