Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Viewing DLL exported variables in the debugger

ferrad
New User
This never worked in CVF, I was hoping it would be fixed in Intel, but it appears not, unless I'm missing something:
We havedata shared between DLLs by DLLEXPORTing the common block from DLL A and DLLIMPORTing it on the other side in DLL B. I am in the debugger in DLL B, trying to look at the value of the variable in one of these common blocks, but they all come out incorrect (garbage generally). I know what their values are as I have write statements in my code, however I would really like to see them in the debugger. Is there some trick to this?

Adrian
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It did work in CVF. It didn't for a while in Intel Visual Fortran, but generally does now (in the last couple of updates.)
0 Kudos
ferrad
New User
I have version 9.0.2713.2003 (Fortran Compiler Integration), installed from the CD. I'm not sure how the version numbers compare to the updates available from premier.intel.com.Is the version on the the CD supposed to have the fix below? Or do I have todownload the latest version?
Adrian
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The version on the CD does not have the fix. Please download and install 9.0.025 from Intel Premier Support. When you see the screen with the various "Modify" buttons (would be "Install" if you had not installed), do the one for the IA-32 compiler (first button) first - ignore the message that says that IDE requires the compiler. Then do the last one (Visual Studio integration.) You can also update other components as desired.
0 Kudos
ferrad
New User

I tried to upgrade to 9.0.025, here is what happened:

It told methe previous version of IVF 9.0 had to be uninstalled to install this one, which then started to do. Iignored the IDE message (as you mentioned), but then it popped up another window saying "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the ControlPanel." I then tried to do this from Control Panel, I get the same IDE message again, which I ignore. It then pops up a window: "Fatal error during installation". At this point I'm not sure what to do.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Hmm, that's odd. Try uninstalling the Visual Studio integration first, and then the compiler. If you still need help, please contact Intel Premier Support.
0 Kudos
tashker__michael
Beginner

That problem was first reported by me (issue 286944) on 26 Jan 2005. Just got report of fix in 9.0.25. So uninstalled ide integration, uninstalled fortran, installed fortran, installed ide integration (can't you guys do something about this? There are many many products that you don't have to uninstall the old before updating).

So to test Icompiled/linked/ran test program, but attempting to debug produces a message box:

Unable to start debugging

unable to start program "c:......xyzzy.exe"

The server threw an exception.

Same thing happens with this:

program Hello

end program

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The uninstall issue was supposed to be fixed, but I saw that it was not. I'll ask the install engineers to look at this again.

The "server threw an exception" error is one that affects MSVC as well. It's not clear what causes it, but I have generally found that the following fixes it:

1. uninstall the Fortran Visual Studio integration
2. In Add/Remove Programs, select Change for VS.NET
3. Select item 2, Visual Studio.NET
4. Select Repair/Reinstall
5. Reinstall the Fortran integration
0 Kudos
tashker__michael
Beginner
OK, Steve. I'll do all that. But I note that other projects with a c++ DLL and c# main program debug just fine.
If that doesn't work I'll trash VS2003 and load up VS2005 and re-integrate. Assume fortran 9+ integrates into 2005...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
False assumption. VS2005 is not supported.
0 Kudos
tashker__michael
Beginner
And are there plans to support vs2005? Even though the scuttlebutt is thatVS2003 and VS2005 will coexist on a single machine, it sure would be fine to have the latest/greatest supported.
0 Kudos
tashker__michael
Beginner

Your approach worked. FYI do you know how long it takes to 'repair' VS2003 enterprise? Over 2 hours on my machine. But debugging fortran 9 works and it didn't apparently destroy my c++/c# setup.

Excellent!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, we will support VS2005 in our next release. If you're interested in beta testing it, send me an e-mail at steve.lionel at intel.com

I can tell you that 2002, 2003 and 2005 (and 98) can all happily coexist on a system. My office system has all four.
0 Kudos