Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Visual Studio 2008: Error #5078: Unrecognized token '?'

mamey4
Beginner
Hello,

I'm facing a strange problem in my Intel Fortran project. Everytime I switch on the preprocessor, I get an error #5078 "Unrecognized token '?' skipped". This error occurs in line 1 of one of my source files, in which line 1 only consists of comments. Even if I delete all code from that file (which would make my program crash, of course), the same error still occurs. I need this preprocessor, because I have #include statements in my code. I'm using Visual Studio 2008 and Intel Fortran Compiler 11.0.074.
Did anybody else encounter something like that?

Martin
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
I suspect that your include file is UTF-16 rather ASCII-encoded. To verify this, right-click it, select "Open With->Binary editor". If I'm right, you will see the BOM at the beginning of the file, and the rest of the file probably 2-byte encoded. To fix it, select "Save As->Save with Encoding...".
0 Kudos
mamey4
Beginner
Mh, what I finally did was to copy the code in another file, delete the original one and rename the new file to the original name. That worked. Your explanation could be correct, though it's kinda strange that this happened without me doing anything about the encoding.
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Maybe the file originated from some editor other than the Visual Studio? Or it has an extension by which the Visual Studio thinks it should be Unicode-encoded by default? Whatever, glad that you sorted it out.
0 Kudos