Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28382 Discussions

Visual Studio 2010 SP1 integration, fixed format files not recognized

emonette123
Beginner
My Tools->Options->Intel Visual Fortran->Fixed Format Extension is set for .f files. Nevertheless, if I open a .f file without having any solution or project opened, it is recognized as a free format Fortran file. If a project is set, then the .f file is recognized as Fixed Format. This happens for any .f files not defined in a project.

Visual Studio 2005 integration does not have that problem.

Is there a way to fix this? This is pretty annoying as you just cannot edit fixed format file if they are not included in a Visual Studio 2010 project/solution.

This is what is installed on my computer:

Visual Studio 2010 SP1
Intel composer XE 2011 Update 6

Etienne
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I believe this is the same as our issue DPD200173541 which is fixed for a future update (probably 8). You can edit the file, but the coloring is wrong.
0 Kudos
emonette123
Beginner
Yes, but it is not a syntax coloring problem, the file is in free format, which means it will consider tabs as tabs and will not start on column 6 if you edit the file. Just forget about editing a file like this, especially if you hit an ill formatted file mixing tabs and spaces to create the initial spacing of a line...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ok - I think that is all part of the same problem which will be fixed in an update. Or add the file to a project and edit it that way.
0 Kudos
gert_massa
Beginner
I have the same problem even it my files are part of a (makefile) project. Any workarounds?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
What do you mean "part of a makefile project"? What problem are you seeing?
0 Kudos
gert_massa
Beginner
A project created by File->New->"Project from existing code "and selecting "Use external build system". This is the way I create my projects because I use make files to build my code.

P.S. I tried the the latest compuler (update 8) and still have the same problem.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Intel Fortran does not support "Project from existing code". However, when I try that, I don't get "Use external build system" as an option. Can you tell me the exact steps you took to see a problem?

If you open a Fortran file outside of a project, the source coloring should work. This probably doesn't work if the file is in some non-Fortran project.
0 Kudos
gert_massa
Beginner
If I opening a fortran file outsite the project it is indeed reqognized as a fixed format file correctly. But I always use "Project from existing code" because I use make files to compiler everyting and it works fine in visual studio 2005.

I also have a mix of Fortran and C files in my project so I can not create a Fortran only project.

I create my project doing the folowing steps
- File->New->"Project for existing code"
- select Visual C++ (can only choose from C++ and C#)
- Select the directory for which you want to create a project
- give the project a name
- add ";*.f,*.fpp" to the end of the "file types to add to the project" field
- unselelct "Show all files in Solution Explorer"
- click next
- Now you can select "Use external build system"
- click next
- enter your make commands
- click next
- click finish

Would be nice if it would still work with these kind of projects
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I never dove that deep into that feature. I reproduced the problem - you are correct that .f files get colored in VS2005 and VS2008 but not VS2010. I will ask the developers if they can fix this. Issue ID is DPD200178023.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This has been fixed for a future release.
0 Kudos
gert_massa
Beginner
Thanks! Any idea when this will be available? We are really waiting for this. We have to switch to VS2010 but this is blocking us at the moment? Any workaround/hotfix possible?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This is blocking you? How? As far as I can tell, it simply means you don't get fixed-form source colored.

There is no hotfix available. A workaround would be to create a Fortran project that included these sources if you wanted to edit them and get the full Fortran editing experience. The next release is scheduled for later this year, but still some months away.
0 Kudos
gert_massa
Beginner
@emonette: Intel composer XE 2011 Update 7, this will fix your problem. But not mine however. And yes it is very annoying.
0 Kudos
gert_massa
Beginner
@Steve: OK blocking is maybe not the good word. This is holding us back to make the switch to VS2010 now because it is not really convenient.
0 Kudos
gert_massa
Beginner
I still have the same problem with update 9
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This is fixed for a future version of the compiler. It won't be in an update to the Composer XE 2011 product.
0 Kudos