Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Visual Studio 2017 not yet supported

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

On March 7, Microsoft released Visual Studio 2017. Intel Parallel Studio XE does not yet support this - the Intel folks will let you know when it does.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Support for VS 2017 is targeted for the next Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 3 release in the May timeframe and the next major Parallel Studio XE release later this year.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This would be a good thread to make "sticky" for a while.

0 Kudos
BUFORD_G_Intel
Employee

Is there a workaround or something?  I'm setting up a new build system and I can't wait around till May just because 2017 is not in a search path.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

You will need to use a supported version of Visual Studio until support for VS 2017 is available. I don't understand the comment regarding the search path.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The product includes a VS2013-Based build environment. 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Among the apparent issues for this "upgrade" will be the ability to install VS2017 with C++ support.  After getting the invitation from Microsoft, I just tried it on Win8.1, and it failed at the point of attempting to download the new default Win10 SDK.  Attempting to repeat using the URL to download the SDK by itself appears to confirm access denial.  It seems premature to expect Intel to support customers with these dependencies until such problems are resolved.

0 Kudos
BUFORD_G_Intel
Employee

The installer doesn't find VS2017 - hence the search path comment.  If you'd like more feedback or details on what I mean, contact me directly.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

No, it wouldn't. 

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The installation of VS2017 went smoothly on my old Nehalem under Windows 10/1607 (including the new Win10 SDK).  After finding the hidden 64-bit development cmd shortcut, I was able to build C++ objects and link them successfully under a VS2015/ifort 2017.2 installation.  No apparent difference in execution from VS2015.

So the VS2017 installation seems to have a problem with Win8.1.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It's typical for each new VS release to make breaking changes to integration from non-Microsoft languages. There's no workaround - you just have to wait. But VS2015 still works.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

An incident involving a cat and a mug of tea has sent my laptop to the trash can :-(  so I have a good few hours of work ahead to get a new one "fully loaded".

A was using VS Community, but I can only find download links for 2017 which is not supported. So I have a bit of a problem. Using shell is also a  problem because of the lack of resource compiler and the third party one doesn't work with many of my resource files. Is there a well hidden vs2015 community link somewhere? 

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

A bit convoluted, but try this...

1. Join Visual Studio Dev Essentials (free) and log in.
  2. Click to accept the terms.
  3. Once you have logged in, click Downloads in the navigation bar
  4. In the search bar, search for "2015 Community". An entry for Visual Studio 2015 Community with Update 3 will appear. Click that and then click the Download button.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Steve, I went down that road, it looked promising, I can't remember exactly what went with wrong with that but I then gave up as I found a full installer for VS in some backup date so am now up and running.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

As for the installation of VS2017 on Win8.1, now it wants to "update visual studio installer."  There has been an update for VS2017 so a new installation is required, even if the initial vs2017 download hasn't changed.  No doubt this requires Intel compiler compatibility testing to start over.

As I reported before for Win10, now on Win8.1 as well it is possible to make .obj in the VS2017 environment and link and run them in the VS2015/ifort2017u2 environment.  The one performance improvement I saw is with the C++ fill() which has come up close to ICL (or ifort) performance.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Start over? No. But there will likely be some "touch testing" to make sure it didn't break something. It's the Visual Studio code itself that is the issue, not the installer.

0 Kudos
Colin_W_1
Novice

Thanks Steve. I also had this problem. If I hadn't found your link to VS2015 I'd have been putting in a support call. 

Have a good retirement ... but please don't stop contributing here!

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I am using VS 2017 with the Beta 2018 Intel Fortran compiler -- it is running my programs with no problems other than a few minutes to fix DISLIN. 

I really enjoyed working with VS 2013 -- it is my preferred IDE but one program I use installed the VS 2015 Shell and then it kept intruding into VS 2013 in annoying ways. The VS Selector gets confused at times. 

A few weeks ago I got a nice note from some kind lady a Intel asking me if I wanted to take part in the 2018 beta test. Being your average Australian redneck (watch Mum being the last words of most Australian men) I said yes and also installed 2017. 

They work well together and my main structures program compiled without a hitch and appears to run nicely. 

2017 is worth the step up. You can even get a hacked version of the Color Theme editor so you can have decent colors. 

Being on the edge can be hassle -- the latest Windows 10 Fast ring has one or two glitches, but what the heck -- mum is always watching over me. 

Steve: Why does the text editor her underline the spelling mistakes but does not offer replacement? 

I also got my Intel NUC running stuff into Azure in the cloud across a CELL Modem -- it was an interesting challenge to get linked to the Azure SQL Server. Some Instruction sets are better than others. 

Steve can I deploy a Intel Fortran program onto the Windows 10 IoT version? 

John

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

John, I am not sure which text editor you are referring to.  

As for Windows 10 IoT edition, the key is whether or not "desktop" API applications are supported, as Intel Fortran uses that API. There are three sub-editions:

• Enterprise - will run Desktop applications, so Intel Fortran applications should work
  • Mobile Enterprise - runs only Universal applications, so no Intel Fortran
  • iOT Core - runs only Universal applications, so no Intel Fortran

Feel free to start a new thread on this if you try it.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

VS 2013 does not work with Windows 10, at least not on my DELL computer.

so hopefully they are going to test VS 2017 in that environment ?

Probably a lot of users have migrated there so far.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, VS2013 is supported on Windows 10. I use that combination often.  If you have a specific problem, please start a new thread for it. 

0 Kudos