Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Visual Studio and CMake compiler identification fails

abrunner
Beginner

Hello,

I am using Visual Studio 2022, version 17.2.5 to build a CMake project that creates a Fortran library as a target. The first two lines of my CMakeLists.txt are:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0)
enable_language(Fortran)

When using Visual Studio to build the project, it fails at the second line with the following message:

1> [CMake] -- Check for working Fortran compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/oneAPI/compiler/2022.1.0/windows/bin/intel64/ifort.exe
    1> [CMake] CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may not be built correctly.
    1> [CMake] Missing variable is:
    1> [CMake] CMAKE_Fortran_PREPROCESS_SOURCE
    1> [CMake] CMake Error at C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/2022/Community/Common7/IDE/CommonExtensions/Microsoft/CMake/CMake/share/cmake-3.22/Modules/CMakeTestFortranCompiler.cmake:49 (try_compile):
    1> [CMake]   Failed to generate test project build system.

I have CMake 3.22, and I am using Ninja 1.10.2 as a generator. I have installed the Intel Fortran Compiler and I have ticked the option to add support for VS2022.

Does anyone know what is the cause of this problem and can help me ?

Thanks a lot ! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

The first thing I noticed is that you are using Visual Studio 2022, version 17.2.5. The interface to Intel Fortran broke when MS released v 17.2.  MS changed the COM API with that release. See this thread for more information and several workarounds.

We expect to have a fix for this problem in the next oneAPI release.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Any ideas on the release time frame for the next oneAPI?

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel
0 Kudos