Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Visual Studio and Fortran

Paul_Cramer
Beginner

Greetings

I am returning to programming after a long pause and need to do some development and software maintenance in Intel FORTRAN. Are there any Intel classes (preferable on-line) for the use of MS Visual Studio with the Intel FORTRAN compilers? Or perhaps just an introduction to Visual Studio?

THX Paul

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

We don't have classes.  I did a video tutorial at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tutorial-introduction-to-intel-visual-fortran/ - it's a bit dated but should get you going. You can also look at the Getting Started topic in the on-disk documentation.

By the way, it's Fortran, not FORTRAN as of 1991.

0 Kudos
Paul_Cramer
Beginner

Steve

Yes Ive seen that one in my search.  What I haven't found is an example of how to deal with programs with multiple subroutines and say IMSL libraries.

Fortran! ah the ever popular re-branding.  Actually, I just used the spell checker in the posting dialog and it made it all caps, and it is your spell checker after all ;-)

THX Paul

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Multiple subroutines are easy - just add all the source files to your project.

As for IMSL, see Configuring Visual Studio for using the IMSL* Fortran Numerical Library

I'll see if I can get the spell checker fixed. Microsoft Word makes the same mistake.

0 Kudos
WHARR5
New Contributor I

It is a pleasure to see there are still among us some “older” programmers who still use that wonderful Fortran (FORTRAN) language. For pure number crunching there is still no other language that can touch it.

I am an “old” FORTRAN (Fortran) programmer who has been at it since John Backus sent us mimeographed sheets of their latest coding for our IBM 704 mainframe at Chance Vought Aircraft Co. (now LTV) in the 1950’s. I have a 1st edition copy of IBM’s paperback “Programmer’s Reference Manual” shown on Wikipedia’s Fortran web page, and I am a long-time admirer of Steve Lionel, who has plenty of experience under his belt as well.

On my old 32-bit Windows XP machine (in Virginia) my most recent project requires 23 hours to complete execution in Compaq Visual Fortran (CVF) 6.6. When I got my 64-bit Windows 7 PC (in Florida, where I am now), I hoped for a speed up. (In hindsight, that was a very dumb expectation.) I opted for Microsoft’s virtualization. (You can see all the steps I took at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowscompatibility/thread/70050e5f-18b0-4d09-aa71-261fe35626df/ and at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5285994/compaq-visual-fortran-on-windows-7-64-bit.)  As I mentioned in my post, even on my 64-bit PC (built specifically for fast execution), virtualization offered no speed advantage. The reason for this became clear when I saw that MS virtualization simply turned a part of my PC into a 32-bit virtual XP OS machine, just like my old 32-bit XP Pro PC that I’ve been using now for some years. Although able to install CVF 6.6 on my 64-bit PC (with all virtualization now removed), incompatibilities prevent it from executing, so finally I did what I should have done much earlier, I purchased Intel’s Fortran Composer XE 2013 two weeks ago.

All 811 MBs downloaded just fine. However, installation gave problems. My C: drive was full, so I attempted to install onto my D: drive, which had 920 GBs of free space. No luck. Installer appeared dedicated to C: drive and gave “not enough disk space” error. Intel’s Annalee Embry graciously suggested that I choose ‘Custom installation’ rather than ‘Full installation’ at step 3 of the install process. Somehow installer managed to squeeze Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (MVS) onto my C: drive, and everything else in the package onto my D: drive, but at least all 811 MBs got installed, as far as I can tell.

Finally now, to Steve’s tutorial and my eventual question of need.

I realize MVS 2010 is not quite the same as MVS 2008, but things move along in 2010 pretty much as Steve explains it. The three pages (Start, Output, and Solution Explorer) are there. Selecting ‘New Project’ on the Start Page, changing the name from Console1 to something more appropriate, clicking on ‘Console Application’, followed by ‘Main Program Code’, voila! … There is that old familiar f90 (Global Scope) source code workspace with its green comment lines and blue Fortran commands. (But Steve’s Start Page workspace does not have that “Global Scope” label.) Also the brief 4-statement variable-free program already provided there in the workspace is indeed the same ‘Hello World’ print program that Steve composes and executes in his tutorial. So we should be able to complete the steps and get the executed Hello World printout. Let’s try it. Click on Build and then Build Solution. Oops! Whereas Steve gets 0 Error(s) and 0 Warning(s), I receive two (2) errors, namely:

1. Error A license for FCompW could not be obtained (-1,359,2).
  2. error #10052: could not check out FLEXIm license

If anyone in this forum has had these license errors and knows how to resolve (i.e. eliminate) them, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Regards,

William Harrison

f8bill@gmail.com

08/19/13

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

William,

It seems that your evaluation license didn't properly install. If you open a command prompt window and type:

set intel_license_file

what does it display? It should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Licenses  Are there any files in that folder?  I am going to have the Intel Registration Center email you another copy of the evaluation license - save the .LIC file it attaches to the folder named in the command output.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The environment variable INTEL_LICENSE_FILE should evaluate to either the directory where the FlexNet license file for Intel Fortran was placed by the installer, or to the file itself.  Look for the variable and its value in the Environment Variables tab of the System->Advanced control panel. One (if more than one file exists in the directory). To resolve problems with licenses, registration, etc., please post in the Registration and Licensing Forum, http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-software-development-products-download-registration-licensing .

0 Kudos
WHARR5
New Contributor I

Hello mecej4,

First of all I want to thank you for your very excellent advice and for taking what I feel sure must be valuable time to you (as it would be to me) to offer help with my licensing problem. Thanks again for that. In addition, I want to apologize profusely to you for having posted to the wrong forum, but Paul Cramer’s post struck a nostalgic chord in me when I read it, so this is where I stayed. Also, this page led me to Steve Lionel’s tutorial, which has proved very helpful indeed.

As I’m sure you noticed, my inappropriate behavior here could be attributed to – at least partially – my newness as a one-on-one Intel customer just two weeks ago. I have Intel chips in all my PCs, I have Intel stock in my portfolio, but this is my first direct purchase of an Intel software product, so I promise I will try to be more careful in the future.

No doubt as I waxed on and on in my post it proved annoying to go through such a long harangue just to reach the meat of my question which had to do with that pesky licensing problem. Probably those last few lines were all that was needed for posting, and I should have spent that extra time seeking out the Registration and licensing Forum (as you suggested) instead of taking up space with my ramblings about personal trivia. Again, let me say to you I am sorry for that annoyance.

I do not post often to the internet. My last posts, in 2011, were to Microsoft’s Windows Desktop Development forums> Application Compatibility for Windows Desktop Development.  I got pretty much raked over the coals there too by a Mr. Sheng Jiang, one of their 148K-point experts, for posting to the wrong forum. Well, such is life. At least the good news is that Intel probably has fewer forums for me to search through that the over 400 supported by Microsoft. However, I can’t be absolutely sure about that since I’ve not been able to reach Intel’s website all day in order to count them.

Best regards, wph, f8bill@gmail.com 08/19/13

0 Kudos
WHARR5
New Contributor I

Steve,

Thanks for all your contributions and help: past, present, and future. The Intel Licenses folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Licenses is indeed empty. Please move ahead with your request to the Intel Registration Center to email a copy of the license(s) I need. I believe I have finally registered sufficient personal information with them to meet their requirements. Warmest regards, WPH F8BILL 08/20/13

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I emailed the license file to you yesterday - you should already have it. If not, I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Intel Visual Fortran. You can enter your evaluation serial number or select thje 30-day trial option that doesn't need a serial number.

0 Kudos
WHARR5
New Contributor I

OK, I give up! It appears that Intel and I are on different pages! I attempted to send the message below to Intel Premier Support, but obviously I am of a considerable nuisance to them and they let me know about it pretty quick. First, I was told that because my browser was "incompatible" (or something like that) I could't paste any of the info below, and so had to type it. That's a problem I"ve not had before. I'm no touch typest, but I went as fast as I could. So what happened next? The whole Support site shut down and threw me back to my home page. Obviously I'm fighting a losing battle. Here's the massage, and I apologize ahead of time to any and all who feel that my posting here is inappropriate.

To Intel Premier Support: I assume my 08/21/13 critical, showstopper request (#6000024392) for license(s) that would allow my Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 for Win to become operational has fallen on deaf ears. Tomorrow is Sat, 08/24/13, so you’ll all be off having a good time. The next day, Sunday, 08/25/13, My wife and I will be returning to our home in Virginia from here in Florida. The desktop PC, with Intel Core i7-870 LGA 1156 2.93 GHz processor and 64-bit Windows 7 Pro OS into which I attempted to install (but apparently unsuccessfully) my newly-purchased Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 software back on 08/07/13, is located here in FL, so I’ll not have access to it until we return here in three months on November 24.

My “old” but wonderful Monarch 32-bit XP Pro PC in Virginia executes my current Fortran programs flawlessly, using Compaq Visual Fortran (CVF) compiler 6.6, but it’s a bit slow for what I’m trying to do. My most recent program requires 23 hours to complete its execution. That’s why I purchased Intel Fortran Composer XE 2013 for my 64-bit Windows 7 PC in FL, hoping for an increase in performance (i.e. faster execution for a much shorter run time).

If you should choose to send an email I will receive it in VA, but – as I mentioned – I have no remote access to my FL machine, so it is essentially “dead” as far as I am concerned ‘til 11/25/13.

It’s beginning to appear I may have wasted my money on Intel, and should search elsewhere for another, faster 64-bit Fortran compiler. I hope that turns out not to be true, but we shall see.

Regards,

William Harrison

wph2000@vt.edu

08/23/13

0 Kudos
WHARR5
New Contributor I

I’m on my way to Virginia, but before leaving Florida I just had to let off some steam against Intel. I’m gone now – back to VA, that is – so goodbye and good luck to one and all.

Bill  08/25/13 12;51 AM

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Bill,. I don't know what more we can do for you. I emailed you the license but I didn't hear back from you. If you purchased a license, I don't see any record of that in our database, but perhaps you have not yet registered the license.

Also, I don't recognize the format of the number of your "showstopper request" - where did you make that?

0 Kudos