Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

What statements cause a beep?

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I have some legacy code and sometimes on user input a beep occurs.
This can be annoying for others so I'm trying to remove all beep calls.

The only one I can find is :-

lret=MessageBeep(MB_ICONSTOP)

There must be others as some beeps still occur.

Any suggestions, thanks,

David
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
David,

my guess is a Beep function, that is, Beep (dwFreq, dwDuration)) (boolean type, arguments of type dword)
or BeepQQ run-time subroutine (within DFLib). Latter takes frequency and duration as parameters of type Integer 4.

Artur
0 Kudos
david_jones
Beginner
Writing ascii character 7 (BEL) to a console, as in :

write(*,*) char(7)

will cause a beep.

David Jones
0 Kudos
isn-removed200637
It might be worth going to the Windows Start..settings..Control Panel..Sounds and Multimedia
to see what windows messages have had sounds associated with them (e.g. message boxes with MB_iconexclamation etc)
Try setting all the sounds to 'none' and seeing what happens.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Another thing that can cause a beep is if you press a key while Windows isn't looking for a keypress. This won't happen in a Console application, but could (I think) happen in a QuickWin and definitely in a Windows application.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Thanks for all your suggestions, but none of these seem to cause the beep.

David
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
You say that is happens 'sometimes' This suggests to me that the input is being masked for valid keystrokes; if it passes, no beep, and converesly. Windows supplies the beep for free if warranted (well it does so in VC++ and VB so you might want to see if it does likewise in VF).
0 Kudos