Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

catastrophic error with coarray and openmp

Zuodong_Y_
Novice

Compile following code with -qopenmp -coarray causes  010101_14921 catastrophic error on Version 18.0.1.163 Build 20171018. Any reason for it? Thanks!

module M_A
	implicit none
	integer :: ica
	type t_A
		integer :: map(10)
	contains
		procedure :: do_something
	end type
	complex(8) :: B(20,10)
  • contains subroutine do_something(self) class(t_A) :: self
  • integer :: i,n self%map=[10:1:-1] do i=this_image(),10,num_images() !$OMP PARALLEL DO do n=1,20 B(n,self%map(i))=1d0 enddo !$OMP END PARALLEL DO enddo end subroutine end module program main use M_A implicit none type(t_A) :: tp
  • call tp%do_something() end program
  •  

0 Kudos
    8 Replies
    Steve_Lionel
    Honored Contributor III

Internal compiler error is always a compiler bug. It still fails on 19.1. Please report it through the Intel Online Service Center.

0 Kudos
    JohnNichols
    Valued Contributor III

Is it just my imagination or are there quite a few compiler bug errors in the last few months, I do not remember seeing so many in my scant years on this site. 

0 Kudos
    Steve_Lionel
    Honored Contributor III

It's not unusual in my experience. They do come in waves - most often when a school semester starts. Another wave sometimes occurs when a new major compiler version is released and a lot of people jump in to try it, though this has decreased over the years.

0 Kudos
    Zuodong_Y_
    Novice

I am not able to report the bug as I don't own license. Anyone help to report will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
    Zuodong_Y_
    Novice

I further simplify the code a little bit. The problem seems to be referring member of coarray derived type inside of type-bound procedure in OMP scope. For now, a possible way to get rid of this is don't use type-bound procedure in coarray.

module debug
    	implicit none
    	type t_A
    		integer :: a
    	contains
    		procedure :: set
    	end type
    contains
    	subroutine set(self)
    		class(t_A) :: self
  • integer :: i !$OMP PARALLEL DO do i=1,10 write(*,*)self%a enddo !$OMP END PARALLEL DO end subroutine end module
  •  

0 Kudos
    Barbara_P_Intel

Thank you for simplifying the problem.  Let me check this out.

0 Kudos
    Barbara_P_Intel

The Intel Fortran compiler does not yet support polymorphic variables inside OpenMP parallel regions. That feature is part of OpenMP 5.0 and we haven't implemented that yet.

0 Kudos
    Zuodong_Y_
    Novice

I didn't know that. I used a lot of polymorphic variables inside of openmp before and it seems to be fine. Thanks for the information!

0 Kudos