Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26754 Discussions

catastrophic error with ifort 19.1.2.254

ccorrado
Beginner

I got a catastrophic error compiling my program expo (http://www.ba.ic.cnr.it/softwareic/expo/) with ifort 19.1.2.254 20200623 on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS.
To quickly reproduce the problem I created a small program in the attached file catastrophic.zip.
To generate the error:
1) unzip the file catastrophic.zip
2) cd castrophic
3) make
and during the compilation of the file spginfo.f90 you will obtain the following error:
spginfo.f90(2292): catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
I don't have similar problem in the previous version of compilers. The problem seems platform independent.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ron_Green

I'll write up a bug report.  thank you for putting together the shorter reproducer.

Ron_Green

The issue is in the "-check all" option.  As you may know, check has a number of arguments in "all".  The specific check causing the crash is:

-check shape

Just that 1 argument.  So you could do

-check arg_temp_created,assume,bounds,continguous,format,output_conversion,pointers,stack,udio_iostat,uninit

or any combo therein and this would not get the error.  Just avoid -check shape

I'll get the bug ID here shortly.

Thank you for such a complete reproducer.

Ron_Green

bug ID is CMPLRIL0-33252

Ron_Green

as FYI, the line triggering the crash is 2292.

vet = matmul((spaceg%symop(i)%rot(:,:) - identity_mat(:,:)),tryor) - spaceg%coper(:,nc)

ccorrado
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response and the suggestion on how to avoid -check shape.
As you probably know, the error disappears by rearranging the line 2292, for example, in this way:

real, dimension(3,3) :: mat

mat = spaceg%symop(i)%rot(:,:) - identity_mat(:,:)
vet = matmul(mat,tryor) - spaceg%coper(:,nc)

Devorah_H_Intel

This was fixed in 2021.4 ifort.