Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

command to run command prompt

Walt_Brainerd
Beginner

2016 won't install on laptop (see other thread)

upgraded other PC from W8.1 toW10. Start button

does not work. tried all suggestions produced by Google

except REFRESH.

2016 does install

tried ifort directly after executing psxevars.bat-- linker error.

Is there a way to start an IVF command prompt window from

a command prompt window (or clicking on some file, or

whatever)?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Many combinations of circumstances are possible. Here is my case: upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 (both 64-bit). Installed Classic Start Menu. Had VS2013 and IFort+IntelC 2015 before upgrade, both worked fine after upgrade. Did side-by-side installation of Intel 2016 in Windows 10. On this system (HP laptop with T4300, bought in Q4-2009), I open a plain command window, and get:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

s:\>ifort
'ifort' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

s:\>link
'link' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

s:\>lib
'lib' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

s:\>icl
'icl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Now run the Intel compilers start-up batch file, and try the Fortran compiler

s:\>c:\LANG\INTEL16\compilers_and_libraries\windows\bin\compilervars.bat ia32 vs2013
Setting environment for IMSL(R) Fortran Library - IA-32
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) Compiler 16.0 (package 110)

s:\>ifort
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler for applications running on IA-32, Version 16.0 Build 20150815
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

ifort: command line error: no files specified; for help type "ifort /help"

Note that I have installed the 2016 compiler in a non-standard location. However, the Intel batch files are very good at sensing where the files have been installed and adjusting the rest of the batch commands to suit.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I haven't seen any difficulties with ifort on Windows 8.1 or 10.  I prefer the Start Menu X, which doesn't see a new Intel Tool installation until Start Menu is restarted.

My installation problems have to do with VTune Amplifier 2016 not being able to install (and blocking the combined installer) where Amplifier 2015 had previously been installed on Win 8.1, and with Advisor 2016 installing but not running on Win10.  Installing the compilers and MPI by themselves (with VS community present) posed no problems other than those associated with the incompletely propagated changes in Windows Kit 10 install paths when updating VS2015.

Amplifier 2015 update 4.1 runs OK along with the other components from both 2015 and 2016.

As mecej4 said, the way to set up compilers within a plain cmd window is by compilervars.bat or ipsxe-comp-vars.bat

The psxe installed compiler shortcut, with standard installation:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /E:ON /V:ON /K ""C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.0.110\windows\bin\ipsxe-comp-vars.bat" intel64 vs2015"

This starts up cmd, and sets up Visual Studio and Intel compilers (and the co-array MPI).

There are conflicts in MPI paths between your (Walt's) CAF installation and the Intel one.  There is a shared memory MPI which comes with ifort to support co-array which may be over-ridden by the full Intel MPI.

0 Kudos
Walt_Brainerd
Beginner

Thanks mecej4. compilervars works--don;t know why I was

trying psxevars (or whatever).

I am still curious about how to start an IVF command window

without a start button that works, but I can do things now.

0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II

I use 8.1 and Classic Shell, so I have a Start button that works. But even so, I tried going to the Start Screen, and at the lower left there is a little arrow that, if you click on it, shows all apps alphabetically. Using arrow keys to scroll right, I arrived at 'I' for Intel, and there was an icon for Compiler 16.0 for Intel 64 Visual Studio 2013 environment. That icon got me the IVF command window. You can get to the Start Screen by selecting the Start charm on the charm bar.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Walt has W10, which has no charms bar, and on W10 Start Screen is off by default.

0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II

Good thing I always ignore the popups from MicroSoft that tell me I have limited time to get my free upgrade to Windows 10, then. Going from XP-x64 to 8.1 was traumatic enough.

0 Kudos
Walt_Brainerd
Beginner

So, mecej4: do you know how to get my Start button to work?

It works fine on the new laptop with W10, but not the PC that was

"upgraded" to W10.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

No clue. Do you have a plain W10 installation, or did you install an add-on such as Classic Start Menu or Start-8, etc.? What happens when you press the Windows key (keyboard)?

0 Kudos
Walt_Brainerd
Beginner

Thanks. No add-ons that I installed. Just got what happened

when I did my "upgrade".

Nothing when I push the Windows key (good thought, however).

0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II

Nooooo... Now Windows Update wants to install Windows 10, and can't be dissuaded! Microsoft sneaked in the dreaded kb3035583 so now I can't run any updates without Windows 10 trying to install itself! As can be seen, that could make my computer unusable. Surely someone at Intel has enough clout to get them to allow a mechanism to turn off the Windows 10 installation. As seen in this thread, it can completely break ifort. Please help somehow.

0 Kudos
JVanB
Valued Contributor II

That GWX Control Panel seems to be the real deal. Thanks, Tim. Seems that this forum can provide the answer for anything.

0 Kudos