Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26730 Discussions

custom INT to handle rounding errors of operations

Leos_P_
Beginner

Problem of INT() is that it is not necessarily predictable in the sense e.g. INT(5.D0/1.D0) is not necessarily 5 but cal also happen to be 4. NINT() does not really help as NINT(4.8) = 5. In other words, I would need exact arithmetics. So I tried to write a simple function:

FUNCTION f_int(x) RESULT(i_x)
REAL(KIND=8) x, DEPS
INTEGER i_x
PARAMETER ( DEPS = 5.D-15 )
IF ( ABS( NINT(x) - x ) .GT. DEPS) THEN
	i_x = INT(x)
ELSE
	i_x = INT(NINT(x))
ENF IF
END FUNCTION f_int

My question is, does this make sense for the purpose I need and what can I be missing (while I realise that if I wanted to do things like e.g. 5.99999999978/1.999999999999999 on purpose, it would probably fail but I can live with this)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

>>INT(5.D0/1.D0) is not necessarily 5 but cal also happen to be 4.

Incorrect, the above will produce 5.

However note, INT(SomeEpressionWithErrorThatMathematicallyShouldResultIn5.0D0 / 1.0D0) may not necessarily be 5.

Sketch of questionable code

ValueWithError = 0.1D0 ! infinitely repeating fraction (IOW contains error in LSB)
Result = DoubleFunctionThatProduces~5.0D0using(ValueWithError)
I_X = INT(Result / 1.0D0) ! not necessarily 5.

Consider  using:

nBitsPrecision = ... ! you specify here

if(Result .NE. 0.0D0) Result = Result + (NEAREST(Result,Result) * (2.0D0**nBitsPrecision))
I_X = INT(Result)

You can also use EPSILON to similar effect.

Jim Dempsey

mecej4
Black Belt

My question is, does this make sense for the purpose...

You have not yet declared what your purpose is.

In other words, I would need exact arithmetics.

Not available with machine floating point.

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@Leos P.,

It would appear you're looking for the ANINT standard intrinsic function in Fortran: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/679004

If not, you would need to furnish more details.