Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

.exe has triggered a breakpoint

Christina_S_
Beginner
Hi,

I am currently trying to debug a fotran 90 code in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008. The code is actually a new version of a code written in fortran 77 which was debugged in the past succesfully using Visual Studio 6.0. I had to correct a lot of errors to translate the code so that it doesn't give any errors in the new version. Although now I do not get any errors while building the code when I try to debug it I get the following messages:

'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\UVM Affiliate\\My Documents\\Visual Studio 2008\\Projects\\Console3\\Console3\\Debug\\112111.exe', Symbols loaded.
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ntdll.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\kernel32.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\imagehlp.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\msvcrt.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\LogiShrd\\LVMVFM\\LVPrcInj.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\user32.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\gdi32.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\imm32.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\advapi32.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\rpcrt4.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\secur32.dll'
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x385c) has exited with code 49479680 (0x2f30000).
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dbghelp.dll'
'112111.exe': Loaded 'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\version.dll'
112111.exe has triggered a breakpoint
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3604) has exited with code 2 (0x2).
The program '[9096] 112111.exe: Native' has exited with code 2 (0x2).

112111 is the name of the project. What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Christina,

Welcome to the forum. When you see this message, there is usually a "real" message in the console window, which might be "behind" the Visual Studio window. Click on the taskbar icon for the console window to bring it forward. A common error is an array bounds violation, but there are other possibilities. What does the message in the console window say?
0 Kudos
Christina_S_
Beginner
You are right. The message in the console window said :
Subscript #1 of the array JCFILE has value 1244352 which is greater than the upper bound of 20.
And there was a green arrow pointing at the code line that had the problem.

I made some changes in the variable jcfile to make sure it doesn't exceed the upper bound and I still cannot debug the code sucessfully. I get the same "112111.exe has triggered a breakpoint" message and absolutely no messages in the console window (no green arrows either).
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Check for other windows. Is this an application you can show us (make a ZIP of the project after doing Build > Clean and attach the ZIP to a reply)? If you get the message about a breakpoint, the debugger should stop at the point of the error. Perhaps you can attach a screenshot?
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Christina,

Do you have any dependent DLLs or EXEscompiled with Visual Studio 6.0?

Did you recompile these dependentDLLs or EXEswith Visual Studio 2008?

If No, it could be the source of the problem.

What is LVPrcInj.dll? Is that some 3rd-party Non-Microsoft's DLL?

What I can see from the log a problem happened just right after '..\system32\version.dll' was loaded.

It is not clear at the moment ifthis isan Access Violation or something else. When trying todebug
I would try to put a break point as early as possible ( ! ).

Also, I would look at a'Call Stack' windowwhenthe problem occurs. In Debug configuration you will be
able to see names for all functions already called.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
If this is a debug build some space(buffer) of the stack will be filled with int3 instruction thus trigerring debugger software breakpoint when the instruction pointer is somehow positioned over this region. It would be nice if you could post the exact location of the fault.
0 Kudos