Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26736 Discussions

fortran run time on Linux (when using -nofor-main option)

abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi 

On Linux OS:

I see that COMMAND_ARGUMENT_COUNT and  functions like that don't work when the main program is in C. My guess is that when -nofor-main option is used, the Fortran runtime library needs to be specifically included. Below is an example.

Main C program:-

#include <stdio.h>
extern void ForMethod();
int main() {
    ForMethod();
    return 0;
}

The Fortran subroutine is:-

Module OM
      Use ISO_C_BINDING
      Implicit None
   Contains
      Subroutine ForMethod() Bind(C,Name='ForMethod')
         Integer :: nArg, mArg
         nArg = COMMAND_ARGUMENT_COUNT()
         Write(*,*) nArg
         mArg = NARGS()
         Write(*,*) mArg
      End Subroutine ForMethod
   End Module OM

The compile and link steps are:-

icc -c main.c

ifort -c ForSub.f90

ifort -nofor-main -o test main.o ForSub.o

Running /test something will return nArg = -1 and mArg = 0

On Windows (and without using -nofor-main), the values are 1 and 2.

Abhi

p.s. if I use icc to link then I will get (as expected) undefined symbols for for_write_seq_lis (which is, I believe, due to the write statement.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Black Belt

If you declare "int main()" instead of "int main(int argc, char *argv[])", even your C main program has no access to argc and argv[]. 

Just as the C start-up code has responsibility to put values into argc and argv and call the user's main(), and do other initial setup tasks, so does the Fortran start-up code. If you use -nofor-main, the Fortran start-up code does not get called, so COMMAND_ARGUMENT_COUNT will be undefined. Similarly for related functions.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

-nofor-main isn't needed on Windows. You do have to link with the ifort run-time libraries. On Linux that doesn't happen automatically the way it does on Windows.

abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response.

>>> nofor-main isn't needed on Windows. You do have to link with the ifort run-time libraries. On Linux that doesn't happen automatically the way it does on Windows.

Agreed (as acknowledged in my post)  on three statements. What I am looking for is "how" do so ? That is how to link with ifort run-time-libraries === what is the command line going to looking.... probably a dumb question. I am wondering if it would be something like:

ifort -nofor-main -lLIBRARYNAME -o test ......

Abhi 

abhimodak
New Contributor I

In other words, what is the name of the fortran runtime library that should be linked.

Abhi

abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi 

I see that the following (explicit setting of fortran run-time environment) works:-

#include <stdio.h>

extern void ForMethod();
extern void for_rtl_init_(int *, char **);
extern int for_rtl_finish_( );

int main(int argc, char ** argv) {
int io_status;
for_rtl_init_ (&argc, argv);

ForMethod();

int for_rtl_finish_( );
io_status = for_rtl_finish_( );

return 0;
}
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Hmm - the Intel documentation used to tell you how to do this, but I am having difficulty finding it now. Generally the recommendation is to use the ifort command to do the linking.

Yes, calling for_rtl_init_ and for_rtl_finish_ is often needed on Linux when the main program is not Fortran.