Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

intel fortran 2022 fails at read(*,'(a)') infile_root , where infile_root is character*10

trident
Beginner

The execution fails at the start of a simple Fortran 77 program when reading a file-name typed on the screen, i.e.

Character*10   infile_root

read(*, '(a10)' ) infile_root

the error message is attached below.

I am running Windows 10 , 64 bit,  with Intel Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran , version 2022, wih Microsoft Visual Studio 2019.

debug assertion failed,

file  minkernel\crts\inc\corecrt_innternal_string_templates.h    line 218

Expression : (L"Buffer is too small"  &&0)

This error did not occur with the Intel Parallel Studio version 2016 and Visual Studio 2013.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Read https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/READ-a-error/td-p/1340829 

Presuming this is a QuickWin app and is the same cause I think you will find that problem is fixed in the latest release.

trident
Beginner

Thanks for informing me.

Can You tell me what the exact version of this new release is  so hat I can download it using the oneAPI ?

trident

0 Kudos
trident
Beginner

Once I know  the latest version that fixed the problem, can I execute the " .exe"  without uninstalling the present version, or should I uninstall first before re-installing the latest version ?

Excuse my ignorance as I know very little if these matters. 

I only use Fortran to get answers to math problems.

Thanks

trident

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You will need to rebuild the .exe with the latest version, since QuickWin is only statically linked.

0 Kudos
trident
Beginner

Which is the latest version of the Intel Parallel studio that corrected the error   read(*,'(a)')   filename ?

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

The current version of the Intel Fortran Compiler Classic (ifort) is available to download here. It's part of the oneAPI HPC Toolkit.

Intel Parallel Studio XE is only available to our customers who have paid for support.

The oneAPI versions are available to download at no charge. However, support is only via the Intel Community Forums. You can sign up for comercial support and pay for it here.

0 Kudos
trident
Beginner

I keep on trying to download the latest Intel Fortran compiler but the site persists that it has problems as stated below :

We are experiencing issues with the Sign In and Sign Up functionality. The product is available using the Continue as Guest option (where available). The team is actively working on the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Will that be fixed in the forthcoming future ?????

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Sorry for the inconvenience!  IT will make a code fix next week. Then you will be able to download the Toolkits.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

I just checked the download site for oneAPI HPC Toolkit.  It looks like you can download the oneAPI Toolkits once again, despite that message at the top of the page.

I started downloading the Windows offline installer.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The current version does not fix this bug, however. (Toolkit 2022.0.3, compiler 2021.0.5).

0 Kudos
trident
Beginner

how do I get version 2023.0.3 that dos not include this bug ?

0 Kudos
trident
Beginner

How can I download Toolkit 2022.0.3 ?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You can get the "standalone component" from https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/oneapi-standalone-components.html but it does NOT fix this bug. You will have to wait for some future update that includes the bug fix.

0 Kudos
trident
Beginner

Thank you Steve. You were always knowledgeable since the good old  days of the COMPAC compiler.

In the meantime, I got around the problem with a quick and dirty fix :

open(55, file='newname.dat')

read(55, '(a)' )  infile_root

unit 55 can be any file that is not used in the program, and   "newname.dat" is a data file containing the holoryth name of the actual data-file "infile_root"  I am trying to read.

Thanks for noting that the toolkit version 2022.0.3 would still not resolve the issue, as I would have spent frustrating time uninstalling the present version then installing the 2022.0.3  toolkit only to end up at the same problem !!!

0 Kudos
scivision
New Contributor I

This appears to work on Windows with ifx 2022.1.0 recently released. 

program b
character(10) :: fn
read(*,'(a10)') fn
open(11, file=fn)
end program
0 Kudos
trident
Beginner

Is the ifix 2022.1.0 a new version of the Fortran compiler ?

And if so, how can I download it ?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The "classic" compiler (ifort) and the new LLVM-based compiler (ifx) have diverged in version numbering.  2022.1.0 is the number of the ifx compiler released in March - 2021.6.0 is the corresponding ifort version.

0 Kudos
trident
Beginner

Where do  I find this ifix and how can I download it for Windows 10, 64 bit ?

I am ignorant in these matters, and I need simple directions.    Sorry

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Did you register at the Intel Registration Center when you downloaded the previous version?  If so, you can download from there.

If you want only the Fortran environment (ifort and ifx), see Ron's thread in this Forum.

Or you can download the oneAPI Toolkits here.  Fortran compilers are part of the HPC Toolkit.

0 Kudos