Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

intel fortran runtime installer problem

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

When I try to run my console program in a cmd window, it tells me mkl_sequential.dll cannot be found.  I can run it from inside visual studio, but just not in a cmd window.

I ran the 32 bit installer in ww_ifort_redist_msi_2020.0.166.zip but it either doesn't put the MKL libraries in the right folder, or doesn't add the folder to the system PATH, or doesn't install the right files anywhere?  Those are just my guesses.

Where can I get an installer that will install the runtime correctly?  Or could I be doing something else wrong.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The Intel installers do not add the Intel performance libraries, such as MKL, to PATH - you must do that yourself. 

0 Kudos
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

That's crazy!  Worse than that, the runtime installer doesn't install mkl_sequential.dll anywhere that I can detect.  Any chance these issues will be fixed any time soon?

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Brian:

That is part of the fun of Fortran, the installers always give you batch flles to run --  a bit of a pain, but Fortran has been Fortran for so long the old guys will not let it change.  

I enclose a fileseek photo for you lost file. 

If you don't use FILESEEK - I recommend it -- free and finds Fortran files fast. 

PS: The ODE Solver works nicely - thanks

John

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The Performance Library developers do not consider this an issue to be fixed. It has been some years since my last interaction on this topic, but the explanation at the time was that some of their users prefer to select a specific version of the libraries and not just what the latest is on the system. The objection could be dealt with by those customers on their own, with some help from a small but of logic in the redistributables installer. It's unfortunate as the current behavior leads to PATH getting very long with two versions (32 and 64 bit) of each of three or more libraries, not to mention frequent complaints such as yours that take time to respond to. 

I would encourage you to submit a complaint against MKL (not Fortran) using the Intel Online Service Center. I wish more customers would do so. 

0 Kudos
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

I submitted a request at the Online Service Center.

Thanks for the tip about FILESEEK.  Looks similar to Everything File Search, which I've been using for longer than I can remember.  It's free but I donate regularly to the developer.  I use it a hundred times a day, and it's the first thing I install on a new computer.  I tell people the more you use it - the more you use it, because it's so incredibly useful.

0 Kudos