Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

march, m, x, arch..can someone untangle this for me

Alexander_S_2
Novice

I struggle to see the exact division between the compiler options -march, -m, -arch and -x

What I got so far: using -x will generate code that only runs on Intel CPUs. E.g. using -xCORE-AVX2 will produce code that does not run on non-Intel CPUs, regardless of the instruction sets these CPUs claim to be capable of. Am I right so far?

Now for -m and -march, I got them to produce code that runs on nun-Intel CPUs. But where exactly do these two options differ? Is it only a different set of supported instruction sets? For example, I can't find an equivalent option for -mavx in the list of -march arguments. Vice-versa, I find no equivalent for -march=core-avx2 in the list of -m arguments.

I guess this boils down to 2 questions from my side:

1) What exactly is the difference between -m and -march and -arch?

2) Since both -m and -march produce code that runs on non-Intel CPUs, can I be sure that the instruction set will actually be used?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
1 Reply