Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

path length of executable causes a hang

abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi

We are running into the following behavior:

An executable, say, "om" is built into a directory.

I copy this executable into a directory with absolute path such as: /home/eng/abhi/test/bin

Then from a working directory I do: /home/eng/abhi/test/bin/om

The program executes fine.

Next, I copy the same binary executable into a directory with a much longer path such as: /home/eng/abhi/ABCD1234ABCD1234/AnotherTest/bin

Then from the same working directory as previously, I try to run: /home/eng/abhi/ABCD1234ABCD1234/AnotherTest/bin/om

Doing so creates a hang.

Any hints?

Abhi

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

What does the program do? what is the code?

0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

There is reading of data from a file

Abhi

0 Kudos
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

If the program is reading from a file, did you also copy the file it is reading from together with the binary? Maybe a relative path is specified for that file. It sounds like a reason could be that the program tries to read but cannot find the file and is waiting for input instead.

0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi Juergen

No, the file read from is in the same directory. The program completes everything but hangs as it is existing. That is, 

Program OM

! all the program lines

STOP ! hang happens at this STOP statement.

End Program OM

0 Kudos
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

You see this is chasing in the dark without looking at the source code. Another guess is that you never closed the unit for reading and it hangs therefore.

0 Kudos