Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

updated Xcode and Fortran, now have loader problem

karpen
Beginner

I am trying to compile a code with a makefile that worked fine until today. Today I updated Xcode to v7.3, then installed the latest version of Fortran Composer 2016 ('which ifort' yields /opt/intel//compilers_and_libraries_2016.2.146/mac/bin/intel64/ifort). The code compiles but I get the following loader error:

ld: file not found: @rpath/libimf.dylib for architecture x86_64

This is a new one for me --- what the heck is @rpath? I can't find libimf.dylib (otool says it doesn't exist). Your help is greatly appreciated!

ETA: Forgot to mention I am running OSX 10.11.4 and also have MPICH installed

0 Kudos
4 Replies
John_G_8
Beginner

I had the same problem yesterday. This may be an Apple El Capitan issue. It appear that the value for the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is no longer being passed to subshells. See the link at

https://github.com/soumith/cudnn.torch/issues/111

I am not using Xcode, but rather GNU make. I worked around this problem by explicitly adding the directions to the intel install library to my Makefile, specifically "-L/opt/intel/lib -lifport -lifcore -limf -lsvml -lintlc" . If you don't care about libifport.dylib and libifcore.dylib then perhaps simply "-L/opt/intel/lib -limf -lsvml -lintlc" will be sufficient. I don't use Xcode, but I assume there is a way to have it add things to the load command.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I note that Apple updates to OS X or XCode often break third-party development products. El Capitan has been an issue, and Xcode almost always breaks our installs as Apple keeps changing its mind about how tools and paths work. John has some good suggestions. 

0 Kudos
karpen
Beginner

Thanks John and Steve! I already had the ifport and ifcore libraries listed in my makefile, but adding the others fixed the problem. I don't use Xcode either, but I was afraid it or El Capitan might have moved the libraries around. Why does Apple do that? Not expecting an answer on that one......

0 Kudos
John_G_8
Beginner

The problem appears to be XCode 7.3. This was upgraded for me automatically last Thursday 3/24. I had no problem prior to this upgrade, but the new XCode seems to have broken the ability to use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and hence the need to specify the location of the intel libraries explicitly in my Makefile.

0 Kudos