Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26747 Discussions

variables values in internal subroutines

LRaim
New Contributor I

Using Visual Studio Professional 2015 and Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0 [Intel(R) 64] variables defined in the main subroutine are not visible in an internal subroutine. Has this problem been fixed ? Attached is a screen shot . This is a severe debugging noise.
I had to zip the jpeg image since its upload was rejected.
Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_Lewy
New Contributor III

My findings with XE 2017 Update 4 (latest released version) and VS 2015 Update 3:

1) A host associated variable which is used in an internal subprogram can be watched from that subprogram.

2) A host associated variable which is not used in an internal subprogram cannot be watched from that subprogram; you have to select the host subprogram in the call stack to watch it.

For example,

program sandbox
    implicit none

real :: r
    integer :: i

r = 42
    i = 6
    call x
contains
    subroutine x
        print*, r
    end subroutine x
end program sandbox

If I put a breakpoint on the print statement in subroutine x, only "R" appears in the Locals view.  If I type "i" in a Watch window, "Undefined variable i" is displayed in the Value column.  If I then select sandbox.exe!SANDBOX() Line 24 on the Call Stack the correct value of i (6) is displayed in the Value column.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Mark_Lewy
New Contributor III

My findings with XE 2017 Update 4 (latest released version) and VS 2015 Update 3:

1) A host associated variable which is used in an internal subprogram can be watched from that subprogram.

2) A host associated variable which is not used in an internal subprogram cannot be watched from that subprogram; you have to select the host subprogram in the call stack to watch it.

For example,

program sandbox
    implicit none

real :: r
    integer :: i

r = 42
    i = 6
    call x
contains
    subroutine x
        print*, r
    end subroutine x
end program sandbox

If I put a breakpoint on the print statement in subroutine x, only "R" appears in the Locals view.  If I type "i" in a Watch window, "Undefined variable i" is displayed in the Value column.  If I then select sandbox.exe!SANDBOX() Line 24 on the Call Stack the correct value of i (6) is displayed in the Value column.

View solution in original post