Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

will -heap-arrays flag be ignored if -openmp is used?

Qiang_X_
Beginner

Will -heap-arrays flag be ignored if -openmp is used for compilation?

BTW, will -heap-array cause any issue with thread-safety?

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No it won't be ignored. It should not cause thread safety issues. The pointer to the storage is per-thread and threads don't share the same heap-allocated temporary. (If there is a conflict, that's a bug we want to know about.)

0 Kudos
Qiang_X_
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. But here is what I found from this doc.  

-openmp Interaction with –heap-arrays

• -openmp will cause the compiler use slightly different behavior for –heap-arrays

• Procedure local data with –heap-arrays and –openmp are STACK allocated (therefore, thread-safe) – must explicitly override with SAVE attribute to get on heap • Automatic arrays: descriptor allocated on stack, data allocated in heap (thus, also thread-safe).

• OpenMP puts a heavy load on stack, threadprivate variables need stack allocation

• Use stack-increasing methods – you will need much more stack than an non-OpenMP application 

So for automatic and temporary data, what is the actual behavior for Intel comipler  "intel/compiler-14.0.1/bin/ifort" 

Is it possible to have a test program to validate where the automatic and temporary data is allocated?

I'd like to test for -heap-array with and without -openmp?

Thanks,

Qiang 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I don't know what the 14.0 compiler's behavior is and don't recommend using that unsupported version. Ideally you'd want to avoid anything that creates temporary array copies.

That presentation you found is a decade old.

0 Kudos
Qiang_X_
Beginner

So the 14.0 compiler is not supported by Intel any more?   

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

No. The current compiler is 16.0. We will accept bug reports on 15.0 but it is unlikely that there will be any more 15.0 updates. 14.0 is unsupported.

0 Kudos