Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

DX11 deferred context

Benoît_Vimont
Beginner

Hi,

I have an application that can use deferred contexts but when deferred context are enabled I cannot capture GPU using GPA. 
my app crashes when calling :

immediateContext->ExecuteCommandList(cmdList,false);

is there something I can do in order to have deferred context working with GPU capture in GPA?

Thanks,
Benoît.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello Benoît,

This is a known limitation of the Intel GPA product in the 2012 R5 release.

I'll follow-up with a private message with some more info on the specific issue.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Adam_Miles
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Could you PM me with any relevant details as well? We use DX11 deferred contexts as well and are having similar problems.

Many thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello Adam,

Can you provide some details about your specific issue? First of all, right-click on the Intel GPA Monitor in the notification tray, then copy the "About..." info here.

Also, are you running into the same issue as well? That is, Intel GPA cannot create a frame capture file. If this is the case and Intel GPA crashed, there should be a log file or XML crash file that provides more information about this issue. Please either copy the info here or send me a PM with the details.

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello Benoît,

Sorry the attempted fix did not work.

Can you provide more details about the 2012 R5 crash -- in particular, would like the "About..." info about your 2012 R5 configuration, as well as any XML crash files or log files that show more details about the issue. Either copy that info here or send me a PM with this info.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

If either of you has some code that demonstrates the issue(s) that would be great!

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Benoît_Vimont
Beginner

I tested again GPA with the DirectX "MultithreadedRenderer11_2010" sample from the DirectX SDK and I noticed that when GPA is enabled then the DEBUG versions (both 32 and 64 bits) crash at launch when CreateDeferredContext is called (MultithreadRenderering11.cpp line 1137). Using the RELEASE versions, I was able to capture and to replay the capture using Frameanalyzer even with deferred context enabled without problem.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Yes, DEBUG looks like the issue. I checked with our development team and here's their response after seeing the information you provided:

• "We do not support DX when the device has been created with D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG or debug runtime has been enabled in the DX control panel."

But this is obviously something that needs to be documented and checked by the product, so I'm adding this to the queue for a future version of the product.

Again, sorry that you encountered the issue, and thanks for using the Intel GPA Product.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Adam_Miles
Beginner

Hi Neal,

Our issue went away with the 2013 release and we're now able to capture the game.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner,

Adam

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

It's good to hear that this is now working for you. Please let me know if you encounter other issues.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos