Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 2.2: Frame Analyzer Error

core0
Beginner

Hi, I am getting the following error after opening a frame capture.

frame analyser error

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this problem on the GPA Support Forums. First of all, please update your graphics driver to the latest version at this link (the driver version is dated December 4th, 2009), and please verify that your BIOS is at the latest version as well (usually available from your original system vendor's support site).

Then rerun the example (including re-capturing the frame from within System Analyzer) and verify whether the problem still occurs in Frame Analyzer.

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello again,

In parallel I've been searching the web for more info on this specific error, and I have a favor to ask of you... specifically, would you be able to modify your original code to check the return code from these calls, and display the result if the return value is not "ok"? Then run your game/application without GPA, and see if you get the same error code / error message without running GPA.

Realize that it is possible that the error may be in your original code, since GPA Frame Analyzer performs explicit error checking for every DX call when it reads a frame capture file. By making the changes in your code to verify a "success" return code we can get more info on the underlying problems.

Thanks again for your help as we try to isolate and identify this issue that you have encountered.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
core0
Beginner

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Checking for DX calls is going to be difficult as it is XNA based. At least it doesn't throw any exceptions. The code renders to texture and writes the texture to disc. The Save() method of Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture seems to be causing the problem. After having commented it out the frame capture loads without errors.

edit:

The error also happens with the latest driver. My VGA Bios Version is 1800. The latest is 1932? There's nothing I can do, as the original system vendor isn't really interested in keeping the drivers/bios up to date. The latest VGA driver on their site is 6.14.10.4964.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Thanks for doing the additional checking on this.

Are you ok with commenting out the "save" call while you do your analysis, or can you recommend something more that we can do to help here?

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
core0
Beginner

I am fine with leaving the save call out. It's irrelevant for the analysis, as I am able to inspect the textures in the frame analyzer.

I am using multiple render targets in the shader. Is there a way to see them in the Render Target Viewer? Right now, only the first render target is shown.

Oh, by the way, I'd like to thank you for the GPA. It has become an indispensable part of my toolset by now.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

I am glad that this is now working for you; and thanks very much for your kind words about the usefulness of GPA for your analysis and optimization needs!

As to multiple render targets, when you display the frame you should be able to see the various render target thumbnails being displayed in the bottom left corner of the Frame Analyzer window. You can click on one of these thumbnails to see the contents of that render target. If nothing appears, the trick is to select one or more ergs either from the Scene Overview Panel or the Erg Visualization Panel.

For example, I've selected the "Entire Frame" from the Scene Overview Panel, which then displays a list of the various render targets (sorry that this isn't more exciting of an example, but hopefully it shows you what you need to do):

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos