Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA: Can DirectX 9 projects be analyzed?

MPere15
Novice

Hello,

I would like to know if current GPA, coming with INDE, is able to analyze and generate reports for DirectX 9 based projects.

Can anyone please confirm/discard this?

Many thanks in advance,

Manuel Perez de Lema Lopez

MPL3D Team

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Manuel, 

GPA currently supports both live and offline analysis for DirectX 9 based projects for Windows hosts and targets.  You can use graphics monitor to launch your application, capture a trace or a frame, and analyze those traces and frames with Platform Analyzer and Frame Analyzer respectively.  

Frame Analyzer for DirectX works great with DX9.  Give it a shot and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

Best,

Seth 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Manuel, 

GPA currently supports both live and offline analysis for DirectX 9 based projects for Windows hosts and targets.  You can use graphics monitor to launch your application, capture a trace or a frame, and analyze those traces and frames with Platform Analyzer and Frame Analyzer respectively.  

Frame Analyzer for DirectX works great with DX9.  Give it a shot and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

Best,

Seth 

0 Kudos
MPere15
Novice

Hi Seth,

Yes indeed, that's great.

I performed some testings on my DX9 application and I'm already analyzing the results.

Many thanks for all the other the tips too.

All the best,

Manuel

0 Kudos
Stefan_G_
Beginner

Hi Seth,

trying to debug a DX 9EX(HW) scenario using GPA2015 R3 I end up missing geometry information.

Where PIX from DX9-SDK shows mesh data for every draw call, GPA always shows error:

"Graphics Frame Analyzer for DirectX did not find any position data."

Using DX11 Cityracer sample the geometry data is shown.

Any suggestion how to obtain VS data for DX9EX?

Environment: Win7-64, Radeon9

Thank you very much in advance.

Stefan

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Stefan, 

I actually was just analyzing a DX 9EX game yesterday and had success viewing the geometry.  The only difference is that I was on our release build that is set to release on Monday.  

I'm hoping 2015 R4 will be a quick fix to your problem.  I can get you an early version of the release build if this problem is completely blocking your project or you can wait till Monday.  

Let me know if you would like to get the build early. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Stefan_G_
Beginner

Hello Seth,

thank you very much for answering. I can wait until Monday, no problem. 

Good luck with the release. :-)

Regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Stefan, 

Sorry for the delay.  We just released the new release today.   

You can download GPA for free from https://software.intel.com/gpa

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Stefan_G_
Beginner

Hi Seth,

thank you for the information. I have successfully installed R4 and captured from the DX 9EX application (i.e. Google Earth) again. The Frame Analyzer in R4 is also not showing mesh data on draw calls, where PIX does. What am I missing?

Thank you very much in advance and Happy New Year!

Stefan

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Stefan, 

Doesn't sound like you are missing anything from the surface.  I might have to dig a little deeper into this one.  

Could you private message me and send me a copy of the frame you are looking at?  It will help us get to the root cause of this the fastest.  

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

This defect is fixed and will be released in the GPA 2016 R2 Release. 

0 Kudos