Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Not able to debugging a windows store app in Analyze application

Ignacio_P_
Beginner

Hi,

I have a WSA which I want debug with Intel GPA toolset.
I tried sample desktop applications and just work fine.
The issue comes with my WSA, when I run application from "Analyze application > Windows Store Application tab" I get nothing, I mean the application just run as usual with no debug information. I already bind my app code with "ittnotify" library and wrote a few lines mirroring sample app code.

What I'm doing bad? It left something to do? I guess but I don't know what is. Please tell me if you need more information than I provide in order to help me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Ignacio, 

Sorry that you are running into this problem.  We actually were in the process of removing support for WSA applications due to low developer demand.  But, let me see what I can do to help you find a fix.  

Could you post your "graphics monitor -> About" full dialog here?  Just copy and paste everything from that window into this thread.  

I'll do some more investigating on my side as well. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Ignacio_P_
Beginner

Hey Seth,

Thanks for taking time on this. Below is the 'About' text, I hope you find this useful.
===========================================================
Windows 8.1 build 9600, 64-bit DEP enabled

Num Processors: 4
Memory: 8098MB
System BIOS: APPLE  - 0 (07/29/05)
Video BIOS: 07/25/20
Driver 0:
     Device: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
     Provider: Intel Corporation
     Date: 10-31-2013
     Version: 10.18.10.3345
     VendorId: 8086
     ProductId: 166
     Stepping: 9
     Supports GPA Instrumentation
Install directory: C:\Intel\INDE\GPA\2015 R3\
Version: 15.3.271796
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current Graphics Performance Analyzers 2015 R3 (15.3.271796)
Secure Boot/Trusted Boot is Disabled
===========================================================

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Ignacio, 

I was actually able to reproduce this issue with a windows store application on the same build you are using.  Unfortunately, we have removed support for Windows 8.1 Store applications for our next release.  With that said, getting a proper fix for this issue will be difficult. 

What you can try though is downloading an older version of GPA when this support was working.  

http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/4211/gpa_14.2_release_225646_windows.exe ;

Here is a link to an old build that will I would recommend trying. 

Let me know if this build is not working and I can get you one other one that could possibly work as well. 

I'm sorry that we don't have a better solution for you at this time. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Ignacio_P_
Beginner

Hey,

I appreciate your efforts to help me.
Right now I'm trying hard profiling application with another tool since I get stuck in GAP, but I'll check out ASAP this older version that you suggest me and I'll post the results.

0 Kudos
Ignacio_P_
Beginner

Yo,

The version that you offered me It's working with WSA's.

I'm able to launch my application through "Analyze application" and It showed up the debug UI on app, I can do frame snapshots too.

But another issue raised up, I can't load my frame snapshots in "Frame analyzer" software. When I do a dialog with text "No ergs detected in capture file" rise up and stop the load.

I don't get it since I'm wrapping entire rendering sections (which contain DrawIndexed calls) with itt tasks. What I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: I provide additional info, the "gpa_frame's" that I create always have same file size which I guess is not regular behavior since the app state change over the time. Maybe frame snapshots are building bad?

Regards,

Ignacio.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Ignacio, 

It does sound like there is an issue with capture unfortunately.  This could be due to a whole host of reasons. 

Something you may want to try is disabling tracing in your Graphics Monitor -> Preferences.  Sometimes this can effect capture.  Once you have done this, try recapturing a frame and loading it up in Frame Analyzer. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Ignacio_P_
Beginner

Hi Seth,

I tried to disable tracing but I still get same error.

As additional information, I don't create the d3d11 device by myself It comes from app internals, I use xaml components which handle this creation.

Thanks,

Ignacio.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Ignacio, 

It's probably our capture mechanism then.  Go ahead and private message me with your frame file that you captured. 

I'll file a bug request but since we are removing support for windows store apps within a couple weeks, I can't make any promises on when development team will get to a fixing it.   

Also,  If you wanted, we could try a couple other builds which might have a working solution. 

Either way, send me a message and I can get you a few builds to try as well as that frame file. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos