Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas
498 Discussions

Unable to open Frame. Error requesting GPA to open selected frame.

dphamcg
Beginner

I'm trying to run the GPA and capture frames on an Unreal Engine 5.1 project that is packaged as an .exe.   The project is using Directx 12.

The graphics monitor runs fine and I'm able to capture the frames successfully, but when I use the Frame Analyzer to open the frames, I get an error (attached image).  

I'm on Windows 10, using a GeForce 3060 RTX with the latest nVidia drivers installed.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Unable to open frame error messageUnable to open frame error message

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Pamela_H_Intel

Though we test on NVIDIA we don't guarantee playback on NVIDIA. So make sure that you open Graphics Frame Analyzer and before you open the frame, select your Intel integrated GPU for analysis. Then open the frame.

0 Kudos
dphamcg
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the reply.   I actually did have the frame analyzer before I opened the frame, and that's what I used to open the frame.  However, I didn't see where I could select the Intel integrated GPU for analysis.  All it shows is my nVidia GeForce RTX 3060ti, and I don't have anything else to select from.   Am I missing anything else?

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Oh . . . so you don't have an iGPU, looks like. Most Intel CPUs have an onboard GPU (or iGPU - integrated). But maybe you don't have an Intel CPU. We do test on AMD, but don't guarantee support. And without an Intel GPU of some sort, you won't get as much data because we don't have access to the hardware counters of competitor GPUs.

<Pic 1 - my single GPU - the integrated GPU on my Intel Core processor>

Only 1 GPU on this platform.Only 1 GPU on this platform.

There is another thing you can try . . . if you have access to another computer where you can install GPA . . . open the frame that you have already captured on that other computer . . . assuming it has an Intel GPU.

<Pic 2 - a frame I have that was captured on a laptop with an NVIDIA RTX 3070, but I am opening it on my Intel laptop with just an iGPU.>

Captured on Intel CPU+NVIDIA GPU; Played back on Intel iGPU.Captured on Intel CPU+NVIDIA GPU; Played back on Intel iGPU.

(I am going to send this without the pics then edit them in or put them in a second post . . . I can't directly add images from where I am.)

0 Kudos
hong1991
Beginner

Encounter the same problem, too. And i have tried both on RTX 4070 and UHD Grahics 770.

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Can I assume that you can open a frame if you capture a stream of gpasample.exe, that comes with the GPA installation? If you can do that with our sample but not with your game, please share with me the information in the "i" top right of Graphics monitor.

Then, if you can you share your stream I can try it out. You can private message me if you don't want to share it publicly.

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

I've just found out that an Agility SDK versioning mismatch between GPA and UE5 may cause issues opening frames in GPA version 23.2. You can try our new version we released last week - 23.3. We've made some fixes. The remaining issues with Agility SDK versioning only affect UE5.3, and that will be fixed in our 23.4 release.

So if it still doesn't work with 23.2 and UE5.1, then the issue isn't the Agility SDK version mismatch.

So . . . if the frames still won't open with GPA 23.3 . . . when you used the A770, did you do both capture and playback on the same platform?

0 Kudos