Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

When will GPA support OpenGL?

vrennert
Beginner
Can someone from intel give me an estimation of when GPA will support OpenGL?
I've searched the forums but haven't found any statement on this matter.
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Thanks for your interest in having Intel GPA support the OpenGL graphics API.

We've not announced any release dates at this time -- when we have more information on this topic we'll be posting it on these forums and in the Intel GPA FAQ.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
xajin
Beginner
Just like to add another voice for OpenGL support.
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Thanks for your suggestion about Intel GPA's support of the OpenGL API.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
uwew
Beginner
Another Voice for OpenGL Support ;-)
0 Kudos
survivorx
Beginner
GPA with OpenGL support would be great. :)
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback... I've noted your interest in having Intel GPA support this platform. You are not alone, and the team understands the need for this feature.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Just like to add another voice for OpenGL support.

My hands are up as well! Please support as many as possible OpenStandards, like OpenMP, OpenGL, DCE,ect.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello Sergey,

Thanks for the input! We appreciate the feedback/suggestions!

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
vrennert
Beginner
Hello Neal,

now that that GPA 2012 R1 was released i once again had to find out that there is still no word about OpenGL.
Is this topic still or was it even on the roadmap?

You guys must see the value in bringing powerful OpenGL debugging to the masses.
And with the number of GPA clones from other vendors you guys are in the perfect spot to deliver a feature no one has or ever will have.
For example Visual Studio 11 has a lot of features build in like GPA but Microsoft will never bring OpenGL support into their product.

Feedback on this is much appreciated.

Regards,
Viktor
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting vrennert
...For example Visual Studio 11 has a lot of features build in like GPA but Microsoft will never bring OpenGL support into their product...

OpenGL is still, and I hopeit will be, supported in Platform SDKs from Microsoft, and this is it. Don't
expect more.

Microsoft
tries to create compatitive technologies in order to "kill" some open standards. A recent evidence
of this is a "frozen" state of OpenMP from Microsoft. Visual Studios 2005, 2008, 2010, etc, have
libraries that support OpenMP version 2.0, and there is no any progress on version 3.0. Another example is
AMP thatclearly promotes DirectX API.

I think that the only hope for all open standards in the software industryis a support from companies like Intel, AMD,
NVIDIA, Apple, Google, etc. Unfortunately, there is no way to rely on Microsoft.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Quoting vrennert
now that that GPA 2012 R1 was released i once again had to find out that there is still no word about OpenGL. Is this topic still or was it even on the roadmap?

You guys must see the value in bringing powerful OpenGL debugging to the masses. And with the number of GPA clones from other vendors you guys are in the perfect spot to deliver a feature no one has or ever will have.

Feedback on this is much appreciated.

Regards,
Viktor

Hello Viktor,

In the PC space, Intel GPA tools are primarily focused on DX Game Developers, although we have been adding support for Media and OpenCL developers over time.

We are expanding our focus to include OpenGL-ES, in order to support Android phone developers (see coverage of Mobile World Congress, etc.).

As we do this OpenGL-ES work for phones, we anticipate that we may be able to expand support in some of our tools for OpenGL developers on PCs as well. However, it is important to note that full OpenGL is a very broad set of standards, with many optional capabilities. The huge number of interfaces make full OpenGL difficult to support with some of our tools.

We are gathering feedback to help guide our decisions on OpenGL. What kind of applications are you building with OpenGL?

Regards,

Neal

ps-> Others besides Viktor are encouraged to respond as well

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...We are expanding our focus to include OpenGL-ES...

I'm using OpenGL ES v1.1 on embedded platforms, like Windows Mobile 5.0, and my question is what
version of OpenGL ES you're going to use?

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Are you developing games on these platforms, or some other graphics application?

As to your question, we are targeting OpenGL 1.1 and 2.2 for Android systems -- once we have determined our plans for non-Android OpenGL support, well post more information on this forum.

Thanks again for providing feedback on how we can improve the usability of the tools!

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
andrasjpeg
Beginner
Hello,

We are also interested in OpenGL support. We are developing an augmented reality application. We capture 1080p HD video, encode it to h264 using Intel QuickSync in real time, while at the same time upload each frame to OpenGL textures for rendering in a 3D scene. As you can imagine, this puts a pretty high load on the graphics system, so we would benefit greatly from a powerful performance analyzer.

In the absense of OpenGL support, could you perhaps point us to a place where we could discuss performance optimizations with Intel engineers, that are specific for the Intel HD 3000 GPU?

Thanks,

-Andras
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about your application and the need for OpenGL support.

For information about Sandy Bridge graphics, check out this article. There are links for Linux programming which might be helpful for non-DX use.

For general questions regarding developing software for Intel graphics, check out this forum. I've seen a number of discussions by OpenGL developers, so hopefully this will allow you to connect with others doing similar applications.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
andrasjpeg
Beginner
Thanks Neal, these links look very promising! Keep up the good work!
0 Kudos
ffoieoi163comgoodbac
please support OpenGL
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello,

thanks for your feedback/request.

Regards,

Neal
0 Kudos
artefactoestudio
Beginner
Yet another request for OpenGL support. In our case we are doing real time tracking for an augmented reality application with HD video. Graphics are done on OpenGL, parallel computing is done with CUDA, video capture with directX.
0 Kudos
Pooya_Eimandar
Beginner

Hi.
Please support openGL.
Thanks alot. 

0 Kudos