Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

"Analyze Application" worked once for Win Store apps, doesn't work anymore...??

richard_s_2
Beginner

Hi,

I downloaded and ran GPA's Analyze Application option and it works every time for the sample app.  On the first try, I was able to get it to work for Windows Store apps as well.  However, now when I run it on any Windows Store app, it always fails with: "Intel GPA Monitor failed to launch the application: Failed to launch Windows 8 Store application"  I didn't change my system at all in between the success and failures.  Tried restarting, etc. but no change.  What could be going on?  Is the Windows 8 Store monitoring known to be buggy?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Sorry that you've run into this issue.

I don't believe that there are any open issues similar to what you've described, so let me get some more information from you.

First of all, please include a copy of your system configuration by right-clicking the Intel GPA monitor in the notification area and selecting "About...".

A few questions for you:

• Are you using "auto-detect" mode to attach to the Windows Store App, or are you attempting to attach via the Intel GPA Monitor "analyze application" option? I think you mentioned that you were using "analyze application", but I wanted to be sure.
  • If using the "analyze application" option, have you also tried the client/target version of Intel GPA System Analyzer, and does this have the same issue? Note that you should be able to run the client/target version with the client and target both being the same system.
  • Also, have you tried other Windows Store Apps, or does it fail on just one of them (and which one?).
  • Could you also include a copy of MonitorLog.txt (it should be in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\GPA_2012_R5)?
  • Also, there should be a log file created when you attempted to connect to the application; the file is located here: C:\Users\<user>\Documents\GPA_2012_R5\Logs
  • I don't believe that Intel GPA actually "crashed" in your situation, but if it did it will have created an XML crash file about your system state; include this if appropriate.

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

In parallel, I've been checking with the development team, and one thing they are wanting you to check in the Task Scheduler whether there is a task called "MetroAppManager launch". If so, please kill the process, reboot, then see if this clears the problem.

I may also be able to get you a special version of Intel GPA with some additional logging information that may let us know why this problem occurs -- is this possible?

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

One thing we've noticed with some systems is that using the "Secure Boot" mode of the BIOS interferes with Intel GPA's operation. I suggest that you disable "secure boot" mode to see if this helps.

Regards,

Neal

ps-> we're still trying to understand why and how this BIOS setting interferes with Intel GPA -- we'll be posting more info as soon as it's available

0 Kudos