Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

some IVB configurations won't support media analysis

Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

This issue appeared with another Intel GPA article, and is being copied to the support forum in order to reach a broader audience:

when we use Ivy bridge CPU E3-1245V2, below error message is displayed and do not run GPA analyser: "Media performance analsys is not available on this platform. For the list of supported platfoms, please see the FAQ on the Intel GPA web site". we are using Supermicro X9SAE mother board and this board can adapt Ivy bridge whiich is use P4000 graphic chipset. other CPU i3, E3-1245 CPU is no problem, but only E3-1245V2 CPU has this issue.

To help us understand this problem can you please right-click on the Intel GPA Monitor icon in the notification tray, and copy the information from the "About..." option -- we need more details about your specific configuration.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
By the way, after talking to the development team they indicated that this message will appear if you have an invalid device id and/or an old graphics driver. Therefore, please be sure that you have the latest graphics driver (and other drivers as well), and also be sure to copy the "About..." info from the Intel GPA Monitor that I requested in the initial posting (this will help me find out exactly what id's and drivers you have). thanks! Neal ps-> see this article for info on downloading the latest drivers: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/290401
0 Kudos
Brian_Cheng
Beginner
Hi Neal, About invalid device id and/or an old graphics drive, graphics driver is 15.26.12.64.2761 Invalid device id is what? is there any list?
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello, Thanks for the information on the driver version, but I'll also need detailed system configuration information which you can provide by right-clicking the Intel GPA Monitor in the notification tray and selecting the "About..." option, then copying that information here. This contains detailed information about your system, including the OS and device ID for your graphics device. Internally we keep a table of system configurations (based mostly on the device ID) and what operations are valid on that device, including whether the system can support media operations. It is possible that you have a configuration that we haven't seen before, and therefore we'll need to add another entry to this internal table. Regards, Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello again, By the way, it does look like you have the latest graphics driver, so it'll be very important to get the other information I requested. For example, here's information from a similar IVB system:
0 Kudos
Jack_L_1
Beginner
Hello Here is the detailed information for your reference. Thanks. JK
0 Kudos
Jack_L_1
Beginner
Hi Neal Any finding or suggestion? Thanks. JK
0 Kudos
Kyu_Jeong_C_
Beginner
Hi Neal! this issue has some critical in our customer site due to their project time frame. please check this about information and get a good solution for this issue. and I am wonder it doesn't test this PGA in IVB CPU before it released K.J Choi
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello, I saw your response and am looking at what options exist to help you with this. The reason Intel GPA does not support this configuration for media is that we keep a list of all valid CPU/GPU combinations that we know support media, and your specific configuration was not one that we knew about when the latest version was released. Regards, Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello, After some more investigation on this, it appears that your system is a server (which is why we haven't seen this before). I've checked with the product team on this, and and the response is: "GPA is designed for client computing, not for server use. We do not support server processors at this time”. This has been added as a potential enhancement for a future version of the Intel GPA product. Regards, Neal
0 Kudos
Kyu_Jeong_C_
Beginner
I Neal! E3-1200 CPU Sandy bridge has no issue to run media analysis, but next version of Sandy bridge, Ivy bridge E3-1200V2 has this issue only. That means GPA is also running on the server platform before Choi
0 Kudos
Kyu_Jeong_C_
Beginner
I Neal! E3-1200 CPU Sandy bridge has no issue to run media analysis, but next version of Sandy bridge, Ivy bridge E3-1200V2 has this issue only. That means GPA is also running on the server platform before Choi
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello Choi, I'm working with the dev team to see what we can do to help. We will contact you via private message for more details on this. Regards, Neal
0 Kudos
Kyu_Jeong_C_
Beginner
Hi Neal! Here is my email address and send me mail what do you want to know kjchoi@nextwise.co.kr Choi
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello all on this thread, I believe that you now have a way to get this working for you on this platform. Regards, Neal
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I
Hello, Note that this has been fixed in our latest patch to the 2012 R4 version of Intel GPA: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-gpa-2012-r4-patch-1-now-available-build-184273 Regards, Neal
0 Kudos
Andrey_S_1
Beginner

Hi

I have CPU 2500K with HD3000 and Nvidia 680 GTX.

Virtu is enabled in BIOS settings.

"Media performance analysis is not available on this platform. For the list of supported platforms, please see the FAQ on the Intel® GPA website at http://www.intel.com/software/gpa."

About:

Windows 7, 64-bit DEP enabled
Num Processors: 4
Memory: 8062MB
System BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1805 (12/19/2012)
Video BIOS: Version 80.04.09.00.01 (03/07/12)
Driver 0:
Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Provider: NVIDIA
Date: 10-2-2012
Version: 9.18.13.697
VendorId: 10de
ProductId: 1180
Stepping: a1
No support for GPA Instrumentation
GPA install directory: C:\Program Files\Intel\GPA\2012 R5\
GPA version: 12.5.187105
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current GPA 2012 R5 (12.5.187105)

Is there any way to use media performance monitor?

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Sorry to not get back to you earlier, but it looks like the automatic notification system for new postings is not working.

Anyways, the media extensions only work with Intel Processor Graphics, such as HD 2000/3000 or HD 2500/4000. You probably have one of these on your system, but you'll first of all need to disable the NVIDIA graphics card.

Hope this helps -- let me know if this helps you use the media performance monitor.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Some more information for you...

Note that the media performance monitor only works with Intel Processor Graphics, since there is no common API for this information that works with arbitrary graphics devices. This is why the media performance monitor doesn't work with "old" Intel graphics, since those devices don't have the proper driver interface and/or hardware metrics available.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos