Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
661 Discussions

An end to end example using PAC and HLS

MGRAV
New Contributor I

Hi everyone,
I started to play a little with FPGA, and I if lots of examples and tutorials are available, all of them only target a given problem. But beginners need a more global view to see where each stuff is going.

Does it exist somewhere (or possible to get ) an end-to-end simple example like allocating and transferring two (A and B) N-element vector from the host to the FPGA PAC, computing the addition (written in HLS) both vector (in C) transferring the result back? An example including how to convert the HLS code in bitstream, and use OPAE or whatever library needed to do the communication with the card.

This sound like the most basic scenario, but after a week of playing with FPGAs, I style have no clue how to achieve this simple example.

Thanks in advance,
Mathieu

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GY_Intel

Hi, May I know which PAC that you are using now?

0 Kudos
MGRAV
New Contributor I

Hi,

any PAC that is currently available on devCloud.  To start I try to use the Arria based one. But I hope it doesn't dramatically change the way to do it.

BTW, I have the complete Quartus install on my own computer, to test, debug and compile.

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel
0 Kudos
MGRAV
New Contributor I

Hi @EricMunYew_C_Intel ,

Thanks for the link that I already funded a while ago.

And let me be rude about this (In a very French way). This example is very, very far from an end-to-end example.

It is like giving me a finished engine when I ask how to construct a car from scratch. No clue how to make a car and how to do an engine either

With this example I still don't know how to manage onboard memory, etc. (that seem to be the basic to me). And for sure dma_afu and streaming_dma_afu probably provide some information. But merging two of these examples sound like a miracle to me.

Best,
Mathieu

0 Kudos