Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
663 Discussions

General documentation question: What is an "Architecture Specification" intended to describe?

avi10000
Beginner

Hi SW documentation experts,

An "Architecture Specification" template came my way.

I have a feeling that this originated at Intel, because when I google "intel.com: 'Architecture Specification' " I get over 250,000 hits.

Is the 'architecture specification' doc type intended to be a customer-oriented spec of a released system version?

Or can an architecture specification also be an internal document and/or a description of a system still under development ?

And it seems to be for the high-level design (from its grandiose name - architecture. But can it also for a low-level design?

Thanks

Avi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Hazlina_R_Intel

Hi,

Architecture specification can mean different things depending on the items in reference.

For example, architecture specification for chip designs could refer to to the interconnect of the logic gates that makes up certain Intellectual Property (IP) or Input Output (IO) blocks. While on the other hand, architecture specification for software tools could refer to the different basic software building blocks that make-up the tool's specific features and functionalities. So to answer your question, it is generally describing the low-level designs but can also be written in a high-level functional block diagrams to ease the understanding of the reader.

It can be written for systems under development OR post-development. It can be written for internal consumption or for customer consumption (if appropriate).

May I understand what you are trying to do here? Are you currently using any of Intel's product or tools?

avi10000
Beginner

Hi HazlinaR_Intel 

Thank you for your response .

I am a technical writer, and I was asked to improve on our HLD (High-Level Design) template.

As input, somebody sent me an example of a design template. It's name is "Architecture Specification Template".

0 Kudos
avi10000
Beginner

I think that you have answered the question well: you say that in Intel the doc type is appropriate for both HLD and LLD (low level design) and for internal and external .

Thank you for very much for your time.

0 Kudos
Hazlina_R_Intel

Noted. I am glad to help! Thanks.

0 Kudos